PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a good program to design a custom light saber?

adampatric
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I've been looking around the Internet and I can't seem to find one, and the only site that has one that has this is The Custom Saber Shop MHS Saber Builder. But even this isn't enough for me to flex my imagination for designing my own saber.

FenderBender
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Then you need a new imagination;)

Seriously, there are plenty of 3D programs out there if that's what floats your boat. The MHS builder is what it is cause it is tied to specific parts here in the store. Though, the more savvy members here will take there renders into MSPaint and modify them from there. MHS is just the canvas.

TimeRender
02-18-2010, 01:53 AM
There's a thread on the forum that details techniques for making sabers in MS paint. There are also some 3D modeling programs out there, but they require a much greater deal of skill to use than the MHS builder. Your best bet is the tried and true technique of using a pencil, a straight edge, and graph paper. With those three things, the sky is the limit.

Vlad Doon
02-18-2010, 02:41 AM
I've been looking around the Internet and I can't seem to find one, and the only site that has one that has this is The Custom Saber Shop MHS Saber Builder. But even this isn't enough for me to flex my imagination for designing my own saber.

Hi,

Well, maybe it won't be usefull but I use to make graphics projects for the sabers before starting the construction. I personnaly use the photoshops from 7 to cs3. A tip : if you don't want to start the design from zero. Use the MHS to grab parts, save them and open the file with photoshop. You'll be able to do wathever you want with basic photoshop skills.
Plus, you can even make it greater with the cs4 which has the 3d engine. but I recommend a good PC and high photoshop skills.
For the imagination, I'm afraid I can't help (as Fender said), maybe you'd find one in ebay:)
Tell me if you want to know more about photoshop and saber design

cardcollector
02-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Freewise....
Gimp (if you don't have photoshop)
Inskcape
Or
Blender...

Crystal Chambers
02-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I use photoshop as well but I think adobe illustrator is better for MHS style designs. Designing in illustrator and enhancing in photoshop is the best way to go IMO.
It's not a pixel based program it works like connect the dots and has nice and small file sizes.
It's really good for drawing over MHS builder.

xl97
02-18-2010, 08:13 AM
IMHO... unless you plan to use the end results as 3D (ie: interaction, animated 3D views of your render...etc).. using a 3D program sounds like overkill. (due to a bigger learning curve over traditional 2D programs)

while 3D apps can make very nice detailed/realistic 2D renders (from a 3D model)..

you can most likely do something equally as acceptable in, say, Photoshop...since the same end result would be a static image (.jpg or whatever)

Crystal Chambers
02-18-2010, 08:55 AM
IMHO... unless you plan to use the end results as 3D (ie: interaction, animated 3D views of your render...etc).. using a 3D program sounds like overkill. (due to a bigger learning curve over traditional 2D programs)

while 3D apps can make very nice detailed/realistic 2D renders (from a 3D model)..

you can most likely do something equally as acceptable in, say, Photoshop...since the same end result would be a static image (.jpg or whatever)

I totally agree..reminds me of something like wanting to draw a comic strip but learning to animate only to use still frames.

Illustrator is as simple as photoshop only it's like connecting the dots only way better. You don't get any pixel blur and when it's straight you know it's straight. The file format (AI) is so small it is super quick to copy or send and can easily be used for plotter/cad type applications like cutting and sewing by companies. I do all my designs in it. I've used it to have custom embroidery and sign work as well.

lol...I just realized how much I repeated my last post. Oops!

xl97
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
dont get me wrong...3D has its place.. even in the static 2D/print world...etc..

I was just pointing out for a 'learning curve'.. get up-n-go now type of approach.

Yes.. I know Illustrator, its great.. and yes it 'is' a Vector program..

(meaning everything is drawn using equation/math..and not pixels..hence the crisp 'lines')

Vector is also a nice small format because of this as well (no pixel data)....

however vector is usually most efective in it own authoring environment..

for it to be 'publically' seen/viewed/shared.. it still needs ot be exported to a 'jpg' (or whatever) or raster graphic of somesort.

There is SVG format..which is a 'web based' vector format..just not widely used/accepted I suppose?

vector 'is' nice for silkscreen and embrodery & printing... you can export lines and scale without problems...

Crystal Chambers
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I totally want to learn to do 3d rendering, and I tried to figure out a program before and it was REALLY hard to figure out...unlike any other graphic programs I've used. I think it's ideal to design 3d items with 3D software but it's faster, easier, and still quite effective to render in 2D, at least till you learn to use 3D software.

Oh and it's just as easy to make a jpeg or tiff with Illustrator. PSD format is just as useless without Photoshop.

The best thing about AI files in illustrator is you can re-size them to ANY size without making the file size noticeably larger or loosing resolution.

Vlad Doon
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Maybe photoshop is not the most appropriate for plans, but IMO, it's one of the most versatile. It'll give you headache if you want to draw a tech plan, wiring diagrams, etc... but to have an overall, a design approach, or an artistic render, it's hell. With textures, filters and patterns, you can have terrific renders (almost too good).And if you have a graphic board (I'm not sure you call it like this in the U.S), nothing can stop you (there are some cheap in ebay).
Other good point is you can use it as a beginner or as a pro...

Hummm,...don't think, I'm not sponsored by Adobe

Rhyen Skytracker
02-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Blender is free. It has a sharp learning curve but Mihunai made a great tutorial for making lightsabers with it. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10047

Damin Kestler
02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I love DAZ 3D!
Not a huge learning curve, and its free.
Lots of Models you can buy for it also...prices aren't too bad either.
Check out: www.daz3d.com and www.renderosity.com

Dave
AKA: Damin Kestler

Rhyen Skytracker
02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I have jsut downloaded DAZ 3D but ahven't had a chance to work with it yet.

Damin Kestler
02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
There are some good tutorials on the site...thats how i got started.
Something that is amazing about the program is the lighting effects.
And some of the addons that you can get.

It's addictive for sure.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/Americankettler/24.jpg

(Editted)-Fixed cardcollector...hope this one is better :)

Dave
AKA: Damin Kestler

cardcollector
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Hummm,...don't think, I'm not sponsored by Adobe

GIMP is an opensource replacement of photoshop....

Inkscape is an opensource replacement of Adobe illustrator...

@DK
The picture is very cool!!! Sweet cave troll! ;)

noslenpar
02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I've always used Paint.NET as a free photoshop alternative, but GIMP seems pretty nice too. Thanks.

Azryel
02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Personally I have no drawing skill what so ever so I prefer to make my prototypes in 3D. I use 3ds Max for all of my 3D work. Of all the major 3D packages I found that Max has the most user friendly interface, and the learning curve isn't as sharp as other packages. After a few hours of playing around with it you should be able to make the basic shapes needed for constructing a saber. Plus there are a ton of tutorials for beginners out there so you shouldn't have any problem learning the basics of the program if you're not lazy.

The free version of Max is called gmax. I know Autodesk discontinued support for it in 2005, so it hasn't been updated since, but it's still a good free resource for making 3D models.

Here's an example of my latest prototype made using Max.

Vlad Doon
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Azryel;162481]Personally I have no drawing skill what so ever so I prefer to make my prototypes in 3D. I use 3ds Max for all of my 3D work. Of all the major 3D packages I found that Max has the most user friendly interface, and the learning curve isn't as sharp as other packages. After a few hours of playing around with it you should be able to make the basic shapes needed for constructing a saber. Plus there are a ton of tutorials for beginners out there so you shouldn't have any problem learning the basics of the program if you're not lazy.

You say you don't have drawing skills but I guess you don't need neither it nor much advice in concepts sabers. You've done such a great job with this concept, bravo