PDA

View Full Version : Spice Mines of Kessel Saber #1 by Caine

Caine Drathul
02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Spice Mines of Kessel Saber #1

Here is the first in a series of uniquely weathered sabers that I plan on doing. This particular build was built as a prototype for me to test out my first weathering –type job, and I LOVE how it turned out. Special thanks to Eastern57 for his olive oil weathering tutorial on TCSS.

This is my take on what a saber would look like if it were somehow lost and buried in Kessel’s dreaded spice mines. The harsh conditions combined with the hilt being submerged in all the special herbs and spices of the Empire’s most treacherous prison-labor sentence camp, would rust, burn and “marinate” the saber to look like this.

I love the idea of sabers having a back story…or an already known saber having an alternate timeline…it just gives it some extra je ne sais quoi.
For this first build, I just did a simple direct drive stunt saber….it will get its fair share of saber play for sure. I may upgrade it somewhat in the future, but for now it will work fine as is.

Sinktube based hilt with MHS parts (ribbed extension and BH 5)
Jay-Gon Jinn inspired sink strainer for the pommel insert (the 1 -5/8 size fit perfectly in the chrome nut)
Olive Oil baked weathering with copper and flat black paint randomly sprayed on to achieve a rusted, burnt and “marinated” look.
Seoul P4 Blue
Toggle switch
4-AA Battery Pack

Pics:
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv244/CaineDrathul/Saber%20Builds/IMG_6090-1.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv244/CaineDrathul/Saber%20Builds/IMG_6091-1.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv244/CaineDrathul/Saber%20Builds/IMG_6096-1.jpg

Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LOVCi197pw

Hasid Lafre
02-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Only problem is the pics are too big.

I do like the look of the black paint under the olive oil, It looks really good.

Jedi-Loreen
02-11-2010, 04:47 AM
That's true, there is a size limit of 800 pixels on all pictures that are posted. There is an Announcement post about that at the very top of this forum section.

I've never been too crazy about the baked olive oil weathering method, just a personal preference, but it is nicely executed.

And I like the name of the saber. :)

I'll be interested to see what other sabers, and names for them, that you come up with in the future.

Darth Midian
02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I like that weathering job. I'm going to have to look up Easterns tut. I have to admit, I didn't like toggle switch, but after hearing the story behind it, I totally get. Good job.

Dakarn
02-11-2010, 07:50 AM
I like the weathering job too. Creates a nice patina on the hilt when its done right like yours.

For some reason I am now craving pasta though.

Rhyen Skytracker
02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Nice saber. Awesome job on the weathering.

Jin Ke
02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Nice job bro! :)

Caine Drathul
02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Okie dokie. Pics resized. ;)

I am going to prolly end up changing the battery solution to Li-Ion soon...probably two cell would give it more umph.....any thoughts?

DJMoonbass
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
fantastic hilt caine. that goes great with your story.

Azryel
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks really nice but I'm curious about the olive oil. Wouldn't that make it sticky, or do you put on some sort of clear coat to seal it off.

Goltar Bias
02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Looks really nice but I'm curious about the olive oil. Wouldn't that make it sticky, or do you put on some sort of clear coat to seal it off.

Love the look to man looks like it had been in a mine. But I have the same wondering, need to look up the tutorial.

JamoUp
02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
that weathering job looks delicious! very cool saber man! I too enjoy the back-story on sabers, adds a special element to the hobby.

Caine Drathul
02-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Yes. I sprayed it with clear coat then cured it in the oven.

Hasid Lafre
02-12-2010, 12:41 AM
In general hilt building eastern has a guide on this weathering.

Skottsaber
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Again you have outdone yourself!

I would only have done 1 thing - left a very defined band of unweathered, but not shiny metal. As if it was under something and it would show that it was burned, scratched etc in the first place.

But seriously you have to stop or I'll die from jealousy ;)

$tarkiller
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Very nice saber indeed! Love the weathering job. It goes great with the name!

Caine Drathul
02-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks all. But I feel that I can do a lot more with this saber...it was supposed to have sound, but the FX board ended up being bad (got it for free so can't really complain). I also need to switch out the resisitor (for a 5W in there now...going to put in a 3W 3.3. ohm per Master Jay-Gon's suggestion.

I will also most likely switch it over to a 1 cell Li-Ion when I get around to it as well....it's going to get some future upgrades for sure....;)

Looks great Caine. The baked clearcoat...good times. I know of a V2 and a V3 that may have something like that.;)

Yeah, we should design some cool "Saber Baker" apron and market it. Tim can have first dibs. =)

Lord Dottore Matto
02-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Looks great Caine. The baked clearcoat...good times. I know of a V2 and a V3 that may have something like that.;)