PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine style robes/cloaks?

Rafalema
02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Hello all,

Im mainly interested in getting an Emperor/Palpatine style robes. (Easiest Star Wars Costume in my opinion) I would like them to be pretty heavy, not those light über-thin thingies that cost less than 15 $. Most likely, it should be rough black cotton on the outside, and if possible, red velvet on the inside.

Anyone has any ideas? Will I have to do it myself, or is there a place to buy?

Thank you

Skottsaber
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Sounds a bit more like a grievous robe, black on the outside, red on the inside...

DJMoonbass
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Palpatine+robes

lol. :D:D:lol::lol:

$tarkiller
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Did you even look at the links that were brought up? He said he wanted them to be inexpensive. Around 15 bucks. I cant find ONE on any website that is below 40 bucks. You fail. :p:D

Jedi-Loreen
02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I would like them to be pretty heavy, not those light über-thin thingies that cost less than 15 $.

I think you missed something in his post.

$tarkiller
02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I fail. :lol:

cardcollector
02-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Material wise wool was origninally used. that is $20 a yard, so I don't think you'll be wanting to use that....

I used a sued (sp) material for my cloak it looks really nice. One of these Days I'll get pics up...

TimeRender
02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
It seems that $tarkiller might not be the only one having a hard time reading.

DJ, that was kindof a snarky thing to post, and if you looked at the majority of costumes for sale that your search pulled up you would find that they are the red velvet robes, and Raf already said that he wanted black robes that are lined in red.

CC, he didn't say anything about having a budget for his robes, in fact he specifically said he DIDN'T want cheapo robes, so why would you assume that he can't afford $20 per yard? My robe is black wool lined with cotton, and I can tell you that the quality is worth the steep price tag. Also, it's spelled "suede".

And nobody yet has really answered his question either.

Raf, you don't HAVE to do it yourself, but you can if you feel confident in your sewing abilities. Making your own is always cheaper, but you may sacrifice quality. If you want to make your own costume, you can pick up one of those generic star wars costume patterns by simplicity. If your local fabric store doesn't have them in stock, you can find them easily on ebay. I would NOT suggest buying your fabric online though. You will want to pick it out yourself so you know how heavy it will be, how it will feel to wear it, and exactly what color it is. Choose your material carefully. Robes are heavy and you won't want to use anything too stretchy or it will become distorted under it's own weight. You will also want to consider where and when you plan to wear your robe. Choose lighter fabrics for warmer weather, and reserve wool for cooler events. Going to a convention in the middle of summer and having to wear wool all day long is going to suck.

If you want to commission someone else to make a costume for you, you can try googling combinations of the following search terms; custom costume design service commission. You can also check Ebay, where some costumers auction off their services in addition to their costumes. Local theaters and historical reenactors may also be able to put you in contact with someone who can make a robe for you. My personal favorite is Twin Rose Designs, but get ready to empty your wallet, they are not cheap.

I hope that actually helped you.

Darth Zion
02-11-2010, 06:44 AM
there is a place on ebay called outer robes. They are great. It really has the movie look and feel to it. The hood is nice and big just like the movie. It was like $100 but it is really nice, and warm too.

Rafalema
02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
I cannot find anything with "Outer Robes" on eBay?

Thanks for all answers.

DJMoonbass
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
DJ, that was kindof a snarky thing to post, and if you looked at the majority of costumes for sale that your search pulled up you would find that they are the red velvet robes, and Raf already said that he wanted black robes that are lined in red.

it was a joke dude. chill out. didnt mean anything by it. :roll:

Darth Zion
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
I will see if I can find a link or email. I will also get a pic or two up for u to look @.

Shadar Al'Niende
02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
i googled and came up with this, not sure if thats the site he is talking about...

http://www.outerrobes.com/faq.html

Jedi-Loreen
02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I bought a Jedi robe from that place back in 2003.

Dakarn
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I bought a Jedi robe from that place back in 2003.

Would you recommend them? How was the material?

Its a flannel instead of wool, wondering how hot it is also since I'm in Florida.

Jedi-Loreen
02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
You will hot, those robes are pretty heavy.

I almost got heat exhaustion in Atlanta in 2003, waiting outside for the Rebel Legion group photo. We were using the same spot and same photographer as the 501st, so we had to wait for them to finish with their pics first.

Darth Zion
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah that is the place. It is kinda warm.

Shadar Al'Niende
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I personally prefer Twin Rose Designs (http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Coats%20and%20Robes%20for%20Sale.html#Jedi_Style_R obes), check them out as im sure they would be happy to do a custom robe for what you are wanting.

Can't hurt to ask :D

jedimastergarcia87
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
OuterRobes.com is pretty sweet, I might buy one. Thanks for posting this website, now getting a costume will be easy for me! :p

EliteFreestyle
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
it was a joke dude. chill out. didnt mean anything by it. :roll:

i personally love lmgtfy, good job!

TimeRender
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
i personally love lmgtfy, good job!

I'll tell you exactly what I told DJ, lmgtfy is very funny, but ONLY when it actually answers the question. Otherwise it's just rude, stupid, and inappropriate.