PDA

View Full Version : Voice Recognition just an idea.

widowmaker
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I know I posted this under the BT/CF thread but here it is again. I figured it could fit in both categories.

how about a Fingertip/Fingerprint Recognition system? that way no one but you can use your saber. would need an external scanner to program the recognition to memorize your prints. or voice activation/recognition. i think that is do able. might need the bluetooth set up.

The fingerprint recognition system doesnt sound reasonable i know but its a nice concept. (sorry Sith I know most of you wear gloves) :( If you google it you can find all sorts of info.

Sláinte

Novastar
02-09-2010, 12:44 AM
It's a fun idea--it has been mentioned before, but it's true... it's a LOT of extra work + circuitry and expense all for the extra gimmick.

I say... if ya have money to burn--it's a great concept. Plus--you're right--you could program in a bunch of people's prints for it to go on. You... your friend's... your uncle's... whomevers. Or allow it to simply accept *A* fingerprint. As in anyone who touches the plate. Depending on the software.

Rhyen Skytracker
02-09-2010, 05:44 AM
You would have to wire it between the battery and the switch if direct drive or between the battery and sound card. If not you would have to keep your prints on the sensor for the saber to stay on and that is kinda difficult when dueling. LOL I think it is a great concept though.

Jedi-Loreen
02-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Ok, what does this thread have to do with the title, Voice Recognition? :confused:

xl97
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok, what does this thread have to do with the title, Voice Recognition? :confused:

my thoughts exactly! LOL

not to mention this 'finger print' system would need to WRITE/SAVE data (ie: database).. that does NOT get erased when you quit/kill power.

and then what? how much space does one finger print take? (probably depends on the 'points' used to confirm a 'match')... but then what? only one person? 2? 20? there has to be a cut-off there isnt unlimited space.. (unless data is somehow saved to an SD card..which wouldnt make it very secure would it?)

and you have to 'pre-register' the person before they can use it..

doesnt matter.. 1 finger print should be enough, as saber arent really PUBLIC access items.. (like a computer might be at the library or something)

the finger print sensor itself is a 'dumb' object..doing nothing more than scanning your finger on the 'sensor'.. the software/drivers are what make it work. (not to mention an algo that needs to be used to match prints)

so where does that go? separate board? probably NOT ideal for the CF..lol..

that software then says YES or NO about being a match..

and would digitally send the message on..setting a pin status...(or whatever)

widowmaker
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I know I posted this under the BT/CF thread but here it is again. I figured it could fit in both categories.

how about a Fingertip/Fingerprint Recognition system? that way no one but you can use your saber. would need an external scanner to program the recognition to memorize your prints. or voice activation/recognition. i think that is do able. might need the bluetooth set up.

The fingerprint recognition system doesnt sound reasonable i know but its a nice concept. (sorry Sith I know most of you wear gloves) :( If you google it you can find all sorts of info.

Sláinte

voice is more do able then fingerprint.

Sunrider
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Shoot why stop there. I want A.I....

Saber, run diagnostic.;)

TroyO
02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
And the Saber replies.....

"No need, the problem is the dork holding the hilt." ;)

Hey, I want my AI to be snarky... LOL

Count Malik
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM

lol all these ideas are pretty sweet... but sound spendy like nova was saying!:)

Onli-Won Kanomi
02-09-2010, 11:16 PM
If sabers were real a biometric user security scanner of some kind would be a very very very good, perhaps even essential, idea...but with our prop/replicas a biometric lock, like PLIs, might seem like a bit of extra 'realism' yet there's no real need or purpose to have one on a fake weapon and imo it seems it could be a lot of expense to go to for a tiiiiny bit of added 'suspension of disbelief'.

mihunai
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Just go for a touch switch...
Easier, elegant and mysterious.

You could allways get a CF and have it say "Acces Granted" on startup,
right after you say some password and turn it on.

Plus, arent lightsabers supposed to be at hand weapons?
It would be really 'inconvenient' if you facing an army and your saber denies access
just because you forgot the password or some error or something...

Conclusion, sabers should be easy to turn on/off and should not talk (mine does though, its really 'cheecky'...)
or have some required 'ignition sequence' other than pushing a button...

mTm

mTm

KuroChou
02-18-2010, 11:17 PM

load it with an HK voice.

"Extrapolation: might I suggest master, that the problem lies in the meatbag operator?"

Shadar Al'Niende
02-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Hahahaha.... +1