PDA

View Full Version : 12 color disc question

scaarmor
11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I am triyng to decide whether to make my blade el or led.I am new to this and have many friends who want them made for them as well, so I want to get it right.We fight very hard with midevil weaponry & armor, all of which I custom make & now we want to get into this as well.

Anyway,sorry I tend to rant...My question is I am slightly color blind and wish to know the colors of the discs in order on the picture. I am color blind but my friends are not, dont want to look like a fool passing around my blue lightsaber that is purple...Also, it says you must "drop them between the blade and led lens", so you can simply take the blade out and quickly change it or is it more involved?

Thank you and sorry I sound like the ultimate newbie,
Cain

Strydur
11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
You can quickly change them. I am not color blind, but I couldnt tell you what order I laid those out in and I dont sell them labeled..you just get a bag with all 12 colors.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

scaarmor
11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Thats ok.I'll just have to suck it up and ask one of my friends to identify them for me when I order them.Then I can keep them labeled.

suit_man
11-30-2005, 05:10 PM
is it really all 12 disks for 1 dollar? that is incredible. since you got those in, i am very seriously considering building an led saber. question though, is it possible to trim the disks down to 3/4"? i am almost positive that if i build one, it will have a 3/4" blade. thanks

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Strydur
11-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Ya you could trim them down pretty easy.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth Vengus
11-30-2005, 07:06 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Hey Strydur, how is the comparison between the colored LEDs and a white LED blade with your one of your new color filters? Is one method brighter than the other? (ex. Red LED -vs- white LED + red filter) Thanks for the info!

Vengus

</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Strydur
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
A true colored LED will always be brighter and a more true color, but they looked nice with the filters also.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth Vengus
11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Hmmmmmm. food for thought[:D]... Thanks!

Vengus</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

DannMann99
11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
my thoughts exactly vengus. Personally though, I think I will wait for some pictures of finished blades with the discs before I go and buy the whole setup.

Smeghead2020
12-03-2005, 01:38 AM
There are two exceptions to what Tom said. If you are wanting a blue (not cyan) blade you would be better off (in terms of brightness) using a filtered white luxeon III instead of the blue or royal blue because the white puts out almost 3 times as much light (in lumens) and no filter should ever dim the light that much and still be used for a non-militaristic activity. Depending on the filter you could also get a roughly equal color as the blue LED.

If I'm wrong here, someone let me (and as such everyone else) know.

<font color="limegreen">Do or do not. There is no try.</font id="limegreen">

Jedi Ranger
12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
You are definately wrong on one point - his name is Tim. [;)]

But I think we can forgive a slight slip of the fingers.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/

Smeghead2020
12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks, that was a definate misstyping. One stinking key away.[V]
Oh well, as long as I got the rest right I won't feel completely stupid.

<font color="limegreen">Do or do not. There is no try.</font id="limegreen">

Mi Gin Gonn
12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Tim-
Do you have a light-transmission % available on those color discs? Just curious (if it's already posted somewhere & I missed it, sorry)
The new diffuser stuff looks great, too. Is that a 3-watt blue you were using in the pics? I was hoping to even out the 3-watt Cyan I have a little bit, but it looks pretty close to what I have with my nylon (must be the stepped up power, 'cause the star/o I'm rockin' is perfectly even across the whole blade). Thanks man, rock on [8D]

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

Strydur
12-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I do not as they where not designed for this type of application.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Smeghead2020
12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Tim,
The diffuser looks awesome. Well done and thank you for all your effort in finding it. I look forward to using it in my saber with the discs (which I should receive tomorrow) once I get it finished.

<font color="limegreen">Do or do not. There is no try</font id="limegreen">

scaarmor
01-13-2006, 04:07 AM
I think Tim might be able to answer this question best, but there may be others as well. I really love the colored filters and 12 of them is a good number (and very nicely priced as well[:D]) but I was trying to find possible other colors as well. Does anyone know of anything good to use as color filters? Maybe a product such as Tim sells? Tim do you plan to get more colors? I know the ones you sell pretty much covers all the Star Wars colors but I guess I'm just greedy- I want a crap ton of colors!LOL! Besides it keeps me busy, when not building/modifying sabers, checking for new posts here, doing other daily things, I could always go to my drawer that houses my eleventy billion color discs and pass the time saying "Wow, forgot what that one looked like, tomarrow I'll move on to my blue section in the drawer"- Yes I realize I might be just a tad obsessed but hey, its legal d@mn*t![:D]

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

UltraSWG
01-13-2006, 06:21 AM
What you'd be looking for is a Lee Swatch Book. It's basicaly a little book that has strips of every lighting gel Lee makes in it. The strips are big enough to use on saber blades. You can either tape the gel to the bottom or cut them out into discs.

Here's where you can get one:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/leeswatchbook.html

Or maybe Strydur can get them, I don't know.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Umi_Ryuzuki
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Quick question,

Is the amber LED going to be Yellow, or is Yellow achieved by using a white LED with a filter?

I get the impression people are using the amber LED for orange, orange'red and red sabers.

Nyow!
/
=^o^=

xwingband
01-15-2006, 04:28 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Umi_Ryuzuki

Quick question,

Is the amber LED going to be Yellow, or is Yellow achieved by using a white LED with a filter?

I get the impression people are using the amber LED for orange, orange'red and red sabers.

Nyow!
/
=^o^=
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yup, Amber is used for orange to red colors. I think amber is closest to the red of the MR sabers. It definatly has more of an orange tint than a plain red LED.

It's almost like the difference between a true blue (royal blue in the shop) and cyan LEDs.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

The Plague
01-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I was wondering if the blade used in the "Complete Blades" section uses a blue LED or a white LED with a color disk?

Try not,
Do or do not...
There is no try

Strydur
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Blue led

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

The Plague
01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks,
Are the white LED's with a colored lens far off from that or would it be better to just use a coloed LED. If anyone has some pictures to compare a colored LED and A white LEd with a disk I would apreciate seeing them.

Try not,
Do or do not...
There is no try

xwingband
01-19-2006, 07:20 PM
If you're just interested in color comparison look at scaarmor's post here:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=230&whichpage=4

If you are thinking which is brighter it'll be the blue LED. Keep in mind that there is also a cyan luxeon too.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

The Plague
01-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Thank you both for the help

Try not,
Do or do not...
There is no try