PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Board + P4 = Heat?

Skottsaber
02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Guys, I'm using a hasbro economy board with a 4AA battery Setup. I did a test wire on my first board, and it worked fine, but after about 30 seconds of continuous switching on and off, the black circle on the bottom popped! I felt it and it nearly burnt my skin it was so hot!

I bought another board yesterday, and wired it up again, with a little more caution. :rolleyes: I did an experiment, and found out that when I turn it on, it takes about four seconds to get really hot that I have to turn it off. :confused: Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to waste another board, so could anybody give me some advice on this?

Thanks a lot,
Scott

Rhyen Skytracker
02-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I would recommend using one of Tim's new battery blanks in the battery holder and only use 3 AA batteries. 6 Volts on that card is really pushing it. Using the blank and 3 batteries that brings it down to 4.5 volts, which is what the card was designed for. You could use 4 NiMH rechargable batteries, that would give you 4.8 Volts.

Skottsaber
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Well I used some 1.2v batteries, and tried it out. It still gives off heat after about 6 seconds. I know the board does get a little hot with 4.5v so I don't know whether to worry or not.

Do you think I could use thermal compound to cool the board down?

Kal El Rah
02-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Well I used some 1.2v batteries, and tried it out. It still gives off heat after about 6 seconds. I know the board does get a little hot with 4.5v so I don't know whether to worry or not.

Do you think I could use thermal compound to cool the board down?

4 1.2 volt batts is 4.8v still ok for that board.

The use of thermal compound is to make more or less perfect contact between the component and the heat sink for best heat transfer.

Skottsaber
02-07-2010, 03:05 AM
So are you saying that if i'm using 4.8v then it will heat up but not completely overheat and blow up? :confused:

Rhyen Skytracker
02-07-2010, 07:23 AM
With it heating up that much and that fast, it sounds like you have a short somewhere. I have used 6 Volts in that set up and didn't get that much heat. Check all your wiring and make sure all your solder joints are good. Make sure on the LED pad that the solder is not touching the star, make sure it is just on the pad and that the wire is not grounding out on the star too.