PDA

View Full Version : Another cheap sound question...

NobleLion
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm completely new to this, and after a little intimidation, I think i came up with a really cool 1.25 sink tube hilt! I'm about to order my electronics and thanks to all the wisdom from you guys, I think I got this (I hope). But I need sound, and at a low price. I have a sound board out of the plastic 'Make Your Own Lightsaber Kit', and I was wondering if anybody had tried any of these, or if anybody even remembered them... I had seen some of the other threads about cheap sound, but I don't think that one was mentioned. I'd appreciate any help...

Here's what I got so far, minus some random / necessary hardware...
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae25/patrickleodesign/saberhilt.jpg
Let me Know what you think, I'm prepared for brutality.

Novastar
02-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Not sure which one you mean... best to post photos of the board itself and maybe the wiring (of box too?)...

But I can say--hilt looks fine... that's a great start... and as for the wiring... with a multimeter, you should be able to discover how much current and voltage it outputs... and determine if a certain LED (such as a Luxeon III or what not) will be best there.

Crystal Chambers
02-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Not bad for a first. I like the grips and strips, and the holes around it could be nice to let light through. If you're ambitious enough to cut windows in your blade holder.

I have to ask how do you plan to insert your blade? 1.25 sinktube blade holder? If so you may need to remove the angled tube to insert the holder.

cardcollector
02-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Those Sound boards have been used before, and are very very breakable!

I went through two in one week, I love the 3 sound options but they just don't like being in a real lightsaber...

that top shroud is going to be a little dangerous to the person you're fighting.;) Make sure and warn him...

I really like the grip sections on the main hilt. very unique.

Rhyen Skytracker
02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Almost ALL of the toy lightsaber sound cards have been used in custom lightsabers. I haven't personally used the "Make your own lightsaber" but I do remember seeing a few threads on other people that have done it.

As Crystal Chambers said, you will need something to use to reduce the emitter part of the lightsaber. The blades we use are 1" in diameter. The best thing to get would be a 1.25" sinktube blade holder like this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx Those slide inside the hilt so you will hardly notice it is there.

Great sinktube saber. I like the grips, what did you use for them?

NobleLion
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the input! The holes on the sides of the flanged part of the emitter are cut all the way out for the blade light to shine through. Should be cool. From tip to pommel, the inside is a smooth 1.25 inches. The flanged part is actually a chrome drain trim and threads that slips (very snug) over the outside of the 1.25 tube, and I had planned to get the 1.25 blade holder insert and mount it just below the holes in the flange. If my board's not good enough, is there a best bet cheap toy board that'll work if I get a green lux III. I'd like to get a fancy board from the shop, but that's not in the budget right now:(

FenderBender
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Is it the Clone Wars build your own? If so, they have been used before and I say go for it. There are threads here to show you how to wire it, especially the switch, which can be tricky for first timers.

NobleLion
02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
It's the same as the clone wars one, it just came out way before that and had a couple less hilt options. After 'Phantom Menace', I think. Most of the parts were still the same, so I'm guessing the guts might be the same. It was powered by 2 C-batteries, so I could see why it might not do the job. If I try it out and it gets fried, am I correct in thinking it won't do damage to the led?

Here's what It came from. I remember it being a huge disappointment after just 15 minutes.
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae25/patrickleodesign/Untitled-1.jpg

FenderBender
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
If you still had all the packaging, that versions sells for lots of $$ on ebay. That way you could get a real soundcard;) The CW version, I believe has a different soundcard.

Skottsaber
02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Pretty sure it was after ROTS. It shows Mace with a purple blade (his was supposedly blue in phantom menace), and ROTS Obi.

NobleLion
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
My bad, I meant the clone wars version of the kit, not the movie.

cannibal869
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
It's the same as the clone wars one, it just came out way before that and had a couple less hilt options. After 'Phantom Menace', I think. Most of the parts were still the same, so I'm guessing the guts might be the same. It was powered by 2 C-batteries, so I could see why it might not do the job. If I try it out and it gets fried, am I correct in thinking it won't do damage to the led?

Here's what It came from. I remember it being a huge disappointment after just 15 minutes.
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae25/patrickleodesign/Untitled-1.jpg

Hmm... that kit I think actually has a slightly different board than the Clone Wars Ultimate Lightsaber kit. It *might* be albe to take 4.5V, but I'm fairly sure 6V will fry it. Unfortunately, there's only one way to really tell. In theory, you could just stick two AAs in there to power the board and directly power a Luxeon or P4 off of the board without a resistor. Or you could also use a relay like Cardcollector has suggested in other threads. Either way, let us know how things turn out.