PDA

View Full Version : MHS gear

ecko
01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Has anyone tried drilling and tapping the MHS Gear extension?
Trying to see if there are any gotchas.

FenderBender
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Works fine, shouldn't be any issues.

ecko
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Awesome.
Thanks Fender!

Jordandau
01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Just watch so you don't go through the threads.

Thaxos
01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Just watch so you don't go through the threads.

Might I ask why?
I've got my covertec wheel mounted in the threads of a fluted piece and the pommel, no issues at all. You just can't unscrew those parts until you remove the screw...

Invisas1979
01-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Might I ask why?
I've got my covertec wheel mounted in the threads of a fluted piece and the pommel, no issues at all. You just can't unscrew those parts until you remove the screw...

Then you're lucky. Most time you drill through a thread it wrecks the thread you drill through.

That's why.

xl97
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
drilling through threads 'can' mess it up..it you chase/clean the threads up to ensure no swarf/chips are there to bind up the threads...you should be fine.

Thaxos
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Then you're lucky. Most time you drill through a thread it wrecks the thread you drill through.

That's why.
That still doesn't explain the reason, it's not luck, it's me making sure that I drilled it proper and cleaned the hole.

drilling through threads 'can' mess it up..it you chase/clean the threads up to ensure no swarf/chips are there to bind up the threads...you should be fine.

Thank you for actually stating the potential issue that could arise.

DJMoonbass
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
i drilled through the threads as well. no problems i just went in with a special 90 degree thread file, cleaned it up. no hang of what so ever. i dont get why people make such a big deal of drilling into threads. i think its stupid. its fine as long you CLEAN it up.

xl97
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
its a 'big deal' because it can mess up your parts...and hence not 'recommended' on this site. (nobody here wants to recommend practices that ruin the parts you buy from here) :)

how many people have acces to your 'special file'?

there are 'exceptions to the rule'....as all things.. but generall not recommended.

Thaxos
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
its a 'big deal' because it can mess up your parts...and hence not 'recommended' on this site. (nobody here wants to recommend practices that ruin the parts you buy from here) :)

how many people have acces to your 'special file'?

there are 'exceptions to the rule'....as all things.. but generally not recommended.

Special file not needed, just common practice of making sure the holes you drill are nice and clean.

B5813
02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
With some of the questions that pop up around here cleaning up a threaded section after being drilled through shouldn't be assumed to happen. No offense to you ecko. Just more of an observation of general posts these days.

ecko
02-02-2010, 06:07 AM
With some of the questions that pop up around here cleaning up a threaded section after being drilled through shouldn't be assumed to happen. No offense to you ecko. Just more of an observation of general posts these days.

No offense taken at all.
I have read warnings about drilling into threads before.

As a personal rule I try to avoid it whenever possible. My original question was just to see if anyone had attempted to drill and tap the MHS Gear piece. I was just thinking that there could be some potential for issue when drilling between the outside lines running vertically along the piece.

This thread then morphed into a discussion about drilling into threads, which can be applied to any piece of material.

(hmmm a thread about threads..... )

Darth Biff
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Damn ecko, do you live on this board...? ;)

Jedi-Loreen
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
No, I do. :p

B5813
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
well, ecko, I've done this in between two of the lines for an 8/32 screw to secure a CT wheel to the gear(like an Obi saber). You won't have trouble doing it.