PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for the LUX V

Darth Biff
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Greeting All,

I was wondering; the LUX V is being obsoleted, and Tim no longer seems to be stocking them (not in the store). The manufacturer has a "recommended substitution" with their Rebel line of pre-mounted Star-type LEDs. I took a look at the data sheets, and the mechanical specs weren't very helpful, but electrically they seem usable. Has anyone looked at these LEDs yet, and if so, what was their opinion of them?

Darth Biff
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I just scanned down about 8 threads, And saw Jay-Gon Jinn's thread about this. Sorry. Now I'll just shup up and read.

Shadar Al'Niende
01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
glad you found what you are looking for! :D Just as a heads up, you can click the edit button on your post and avoid double posting as that is generally frowned upon.

Novastar
01-29-2010, 01:07 AM
It's a good time to chime in and mention:

* I'm going to ASSUME the reasons for stopping production of certain LEDs... is to offer BETTER + BRIGHTER ones... in lieu of the old.

* Even if Luxeon no longer "leads the way" in LED tech... it is clear that many other companies out there have been "nipping at their heels", and are more than happy to take the lead. Such as Seoul or LEDEngin, etc. etc. etc.

* It's true that Luxeon Vs are very bright... but they are also voltage HOGS. Friggin' robbers. They always want DOUBLE. They go back for seconds. What pigs!! :) I bet they can't even see their own feet.

heheheh :D

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Thats all true Nova but the one thing Lux Vs DON'T need DOUBLE of is double the LENGTH of battery pack/soundboard combo...Lux Vs can use the TCSS 'compact' set-up speaker mt/2aaholder/soundboard combo ABOVE 2 li-ions instead of having to mount the soundboard tandem with a 4aaa or use the longer 4aa battery holder which doubles the length consumed in the hilt either way...they may not be ENERGY efficient but they are SPACE efficient.

Strydur
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
That will not be a issue in the future hopefully.

Jedi-Loreen
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
The space issue? Or the voltage requirement issue?

Or both?

Novastar
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Thats all true Nova but the one thing Lux Vs DON'T need DOUBLE of is double the LENGTH of battery pack/soundboard combo...Lux Vs can use the TCSS 'compact' set-up speaker mt/2aaholder/soundboard combo ABOVE 2 li-ions instead of having to mount the soundboard tandem with a 4aaa or use the longer 4aa battery holder which doubles the length consumed in the hilt either way...they may not be ENERGY efficient but they are SPACE efficient.I don't see the relevance of this at all, Onli... umm... most other LEDs can run off of the "compact" pack as well... or possible 2AA or 4AAA, or... even 2 x 14500s... so... honestly, I don't see how this is relevant.

In fact... technically, if you want to run 2 x 18650s in an MHS (current MHS parts)... you MUST go lengthwise. For a Lux III, you wouldn't do that, since you could use solely ONE 18650 cell.

But anyhow. The Lux Vs--bright as they are--are horribly inefficient. Not only with "heat to current/voltage", but (again) in the fact that they enjoy suckin' down seven-point-two.

Lux V doesn't = "fail"... it's just... it's ovaaahh... :D

Count Malik
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't see the relevance of this at all, Onli... umm... most other LEDs can run off of the "compact" pack as well... or possible 2AA or 4AAA, or... even 2 x 14500s... so... honestly, I don't see how this is relevant.

In fact... technically, if you want to run 2 x 18650s in an MHS (current MHS parts)... you MUST go lengthwise. For a Lux III, you wouldn't do that, since you could use solely ONE 18650 cell.

But anyhow. The Lux Vs--bright as they are--are horribly inefficient. Not only with "heat to current/voltage", but (again) in the fact that they enjoy suckin' down seven-point-two.

Lux V doesn't = "fail"... it's just... it's ovaaahh... :D

spot on nova haha you crack me up man! lol:D