PDA

View Full Version : A little switch help plz.

Marius423
01-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey all,

I've been trolling the forums for the last month and finally saved up enough cash to get the parts for my first saber. I do have one quick question though pertaining to switches, and I figured the vast knowledge base here could help me.

I'm going to use the style 3 hilt and I want to use this switch along with the Bezel for illuminated switches.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DPDT-Latching-blue-illuminated-switch-P435.aspx

My questions are, does the hilt need to be drilled out more to accomodate this switch, or will it fit in the standard hole? And do I need the standard or guarded hilt?

Thanks ahead of time!

Rafalema
01-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I am no expert, but I think that it needs to be drilled more. Ask from tim

Jay-gon Jinn
01-23-2010, 04:18 AM
I am no expert, but I think that it needs to be drilled more. Ask from tim

It will need to be drilled to fit that switch. You can email Tim before you order, but it's really not necessary. In the store, under "Services" select the $10 option to drill a switch hole, and select the "illuminated" option in the drop-down menu. in the window for the description, just ask him to drill it in the same location as the original switch hole.

Dakarn
01-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Also, if you want your switch to line up with the blade holder in a certain way make sure to mention that in the notes section.

Marius423
01-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate the help. Now since I'm using the switch bezel, it doesent matter if I pick the guarded or standard hole correct?

Thaxos
01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate the help. Now since I'm using the switch bezel, it doesent matter if I pick the guarded or standard hole correct?

As Jay pointed out, you don't pick basic or guarded, you pick illuminated.

Marius423
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah kinda did a headslap after I posted that... Thx again for the help!

ecko
01-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Wait, What???

Am I reading this right? The AV Switches do not actually fit the hilt switch holes?
I thought from the description:
"These are large and the only items currently set up to accept them are the Box style 4 and Bezel for illuminated switches."
that they were referring to the length, not the width.
And I have already ordered parts.
Does anybody know how much of a difference in diameter it would be? Would it be something I could just dremel down to fit?

In any case, lesson learned that even with months of forum reading, there is still more reading that can be done.

FenderBender
01-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Standard switch hole is 3/8" AV switches are 5/8" hole. So no, no dremel.

Marius423
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
That was my first thought Ecko, thats why I decided to ask around. And I am so glad I did. Thank you very much FenderBender for the exact sizes, even though I've got a nice drill press available to me, I'd rather not take the chance and mess up the media blasting.

Thx again all.

ecko
01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Standard switch hole is 3/8" AV switches are 5/8" hole. So no, no dremel.

Yikes:shock:

Okay, well I also have a drill press at work.
I'll try that out and see how it goes once I get the parts.

Skottsaber
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
While we're talking about AV switches here, one question that's bugging me: I see that the gold & nickel plated switches are significantly shorter than the illuminated ones. Are they still too long to be used without a box or bezel? Many thanks :)

Shadar Al'Niende
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
you can easily flush mount those.

Skottsaber
01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice! Thanks, Shadar ;)

Shadar Al'Niende
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
np! just regurgitating info i have learned ;)

Darth_Dadderall
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
So glad I found this thread; it saves me having to ask another Dumb Question. So here's another one: For the bezel, would it be better to cut out the sink tube around it so it sits flush with the MHS section that's drilled to fit the AV switch? Or will drilling both the MHS and sink tube over it to 5/8" be sufficient?

Jay-gon Jinn
02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
So glad I found this thread; it saves me having to ask another Dumb Question. So here's another one: For the bezel, would it be better to cut out the sink tube around it so it sits flush with the MHS section that's drilled to fit the AV switch? Or will drilling both the MHS and sink tube over it to 5/8" be sufficient?
I usually drill for the switch holes with the sinktube over the MHS piece. Then the bezel sits on top of the chrome sleeve, too.

Jedi-Elf
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok, so after reading this, it seems that the switch I want (AV Gold Plated) won't fit the Standard switch hole in my hilt. So my question is, what can I do to make the hole big enough?

Jay-gon Jinn
05-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, so after reading this, it seems that the switch I want (AV Gold Plated) won't fit the Standard switch hole in my hilt. So my question is, what can I do to make the hole big enough?
Drill it out with a 5/8" drill bit. It would be best to use a drill press, but you can do it with a regular hand drill too, as long as you have access to a vise to hold the hilt.

Jedi-Elf
05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks. Good to know I don't have to buy a new hilt section!