PDA

View Full Version : timed momentary swtiches

KuroChou
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
My knowledge of electronics is very basic and fundamental, so correct me if I'm wrong.
My idea really only applies to boards with momentary switches.

Wouldn't adding a fairly high uF (not high voltage) capacitor coming off the + switch lead, make it so you had to hold the switch down for a few seconds before the board would power on?
This would completely eliminate the need for "latches", guards, and all sorts of accident prevention.

Novastar
01-29-2010, 01:02 AM
It's possible, but... let's consider...

* Most boards out there that are factory made (Force FX boards) and are basically being 'bent to the DIY LED saber-makers' will... use latching switches (the ones worth their weight in gold)

* Once you get down to the DIY/hobby boards (Crystal Focus, Ultrasound)... it's much easier to program in the firmware a solution regarding what you're requesting... vs. add more physical components

* Solutions are already present on the Ultrasound and CF boards...

CF = Anti-Power-On/Off-Protection (APOP). The user must press BOTH power on/off ~AND~ the Auxiliary button to "confirm" wanting to shut the saber off. Applies to both latching and momentary switches for power on/off button. The option can be disabled, or rather... not used.

US = Automatically waits 3-4 seconds when user presses (and holds) the power button... and shuts off. A quick tap to the button initiates the "lockup" feature.

More "crude" solutions = Recess the power on switch so it is nearly impossible to trigger "by accident" (via pommel switch or a more "flush" switch plate). Should work ~90% of the time at the least. :) I've done this will most ALL of my sabers. It works pretty darn well, and only the untrained can't prevent a "misfire" (on OR off!!) 100% of the time.

KuroChou
02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I suppose I should have specified that the question was more with momentary economy boards in mind.
I think I finally worked out what I'm doing for my activation switch anyway, but as a future reference I was curious.

Thanks for the very informative reply anyway though.
It'll help a lot for when I have more money to dedicate to the hobby.