PDA

View Full Version : TCSS Saberbuilding Contest - RESULTS UP

Pages : [1] 2

Lord Maul
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
We are having a saber building contest here on the forums. There are two categories: MHS and Custom

MHS Saber - This saber has to be MHS based. Shrouds and custom PC are allowed, but the basic hilt has to be made from MHS. No complete custom parts like Acerocket's Obi TPM pommels are allowed. Modifying store parts (or having them modded for you by Tim) is allowed though.

Custom Saber - Anything goes here. No MHS parts are necessary, but they do make life easier when making a saber.

No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Spectra, as it has been done for a few months now.

Only ONE SABER per person is allowed! Build the best saber you can and submit it. ALL MEMBERS are allowed to enter, including Council members and sabersmiths.

Your saber must be functioning for this contest. No renders are allowed, and no empty hilts that have no electronics are acceptable either.

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a maximum of TWO wiring shots(optional, but recommended) to ME. No videos for the contest, to keep members anonymous. My email is available in my profile.

Deviation from these rules will result in your saber not being valid for the contest, so follow them!

Title your emails in this format:
TCSS MHS/CUSTOM BUILD CONTEST - YOUR USERNAME

Example:
Superawesomejedi built a saber for the MHS part of the contest. The email title would look like this: TCSS MHS BUILD CONTEST - SUPERAWESOMEJEDI

Inside the email, please put your username, real name, saber name, saber specs, and the pictures you want posted.

Example:
Username: Superawesomejedi
Saber name: Spectra
Specs:
CFV4.1
LED Engin RGGB
Premium speaker
Momentary switch

<picture1>
<picture2>
<picture3>
<picture4>
<picture5>
<Wiring picture1>
<Wiring picture2 >

I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over.

You have until May 20th to build a saber for the contest. Voting will be held shortly after.

Prizes - Tim has offered up TCSS gift certificates as prizes for 1st and 2nd place. Enter for the sport of it though, winning is just a bonus. Contests like this are a great way to test your abilities against your peers, and learn from it.

That's about it. Have fun with the contest! If you have questions, post in this thread. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And remember, send your saber pics to me, do not post them.

UPDATE:
MHS-Based: The saber must be MHS based with no completely custom pieces. Pieces can be modded, painted, etc... Tim can do this, or a 3rd part can.

We draw the line at submitting a render to another smith and having them build the saber for you then getting it sent to someone else for electronics. That is out of bounds. I say post that third party customization is fine. If you want Tim, Do-Clo, etc to modify parts, that is fine and acceptable. Having someone build the entire saber and you finishing is not acceptable. Then also post that when submitting your entry, you must specifically list who did what. For example: Holder2 modified by TCSS, Shilt2 modified by Do-Clo, powdercoating by Gemini Concepts, all other work by X. That way, when the sabers are presented for voting, this information goes along for people to make decisions.

Word is in from the Big Boss on collaborations. Collaborations are allowed, but only one person can turn in a design. That will be the person, that should they win, receives the prize.

Scars Unseen
01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Any excuse to plan another saber is a good one. I'm in, provided that the whole transition from the military thing doesn't interfere.

pipster79
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
woo hoo i just got my order of aluminum in today, im going to start machining a saber for this contest right away :D

DJMoonbass
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
im anxious to see all the awesome sabers!!!! :p

Invisas1979
01-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Is there a time scale to order parts and for the build?

Crystal Chambers
01-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Awesome it is on!

Is there a time scale to order parts and for the build?

great question!

Like I have an order being processed right now. Since I don't have the parts yet this one should be cool right?

I know you said no previously made sabers but what if you have one in progress now?

Invisas1979
01-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Awesome it is on!

great question!

I know you said no previously made sabers but what if you have one in progress now?

I'm waiting on a message from LM now regarding entering part completed sabers.

Basically I have one which has been in the works for some time but has no light, isn't wired up yet due to complications and needs work on the shroud.

My concern is I have posted some progress pics and don't know where I stand in entering it.

Sunrider
01-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Is there going to be no separation between the veteran sabersmiths & us noobs. If not me thinks it will read like 1st LDM 2nd Fender.;) Please give the poor noobs a chance. Also could we get a placement count to 20 or 30 for some recognition.:)

Jedi-Loreen
01-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Invisas, if you have a saber you've been working on for months, then it does not qualify, especially if you've already shown progress pics.

The entries are supposed to be anonymous, that's why Lord Maul is having everyone send their entries for him to post.

As for time scale for ordering parts, obviously you need to have your parts in time to be able to complete the build for your saber by May 20th. I wouldn't wait till, say, the end of April, in case Tim goes out of stock on some of the parts you need and you have to wait for them to get back in stock.

Invisas1979
01-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Invisas, if you have a saber you've been working on for months, then it does not qualify, especially if you've already shown progress pics.

The entries are supposed to be anonymous, that's why Lord Maul is having everyone send their entries for him to post.

As for time scale for ordering parts, obviously you need to have your parts in time to be able to complete the build for your saber by May 20th. I wouldn't wait till, say, the end of April, in case Tim goes out of stock on some of the parts you need and you have to wait for them to get back in stock.

I've not been working on it for months it's been in parts with a small amount of shroud work done due to not having the time to really get started on it. Cheers for the clarification though.

I will order some parts and start anew.

Hasid Lafre
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I have a saber that is being rebuilt and all I have really done is a couple renders, But I doute I will enter in the contest cause I know I lack the skills needed to build a sick saber.

Matt Thorn
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Is there going to be no separation between the veteran sabersmiths & us noobs. If not me thinks it will read like 1st LDM 2nd Fender.;) Please give the poor noobs a chance. Also could we get a placement count to 20 or 30 for some recognition.:)
Where would the line be drawn? Some people have been making sabers for years, but never sold one. And sometimes people pop out of nowhere with an incredible first saber. True, the "anything goes" category might favor people with sophisticated equipment (and lots of experience), but in the MHS category, all you need is a Dremel and a great idea beautifully executed. Consider it a challenge. ;)

Since I recently got a mini-lathe, I think I'm going to take a stab at the "anything goes" category. :cool:

Sunrider
01-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Where would the line be drawn?

Hmmm good question. Some contests have different categories like noob, skilled, & pro. With each new comp winners are leveled up but at the first challenge this doesn't necessarily apply.:(

ARKM
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I saw this thread yesterday, not long after it was posted. I started drawing up blueprints for a saber a few hours later. Count me in.

pipster79
01-20-2010, 10:27 AM

the entries will be anonymous sunrider. we will not know who made what saber and they will be voted on by us im assuming. so only lord maul will know whos saber is whos. so its fair game for everyone.
do your best and have fun building :)

Enolmano
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a suggestion.
Some time ago there was a discussion on the FX-saber boards for another kind of saber contest. I think it was LDMs idea from the start. The contest was to build a saber (maybe just the hilt) from stuff you usually don't make sabers from. Like a shoe. Or a drawer. Or maybe a rubber duck.

If I remember right the contest was never held. Witch is a pity!

So, why don't we bring this (stupid) idea up. :D Lets make a list of items you can use and then just let your creativity take over!

This contest would be entirely without prises. Just honor. (The Honor of Making a Saber from a Shoe. And a Golf Ball.) Since its not as serious as the other contest we could ju post the pics in a thread and then just vote. Or I could maybe even host a site for it...

I think this would be a pretty good list to start with:
shoe
ruler
phone of any kind
duct tape or similar
golf club
golf ball
rubber duck
maximum of 5 parts from a vacuum-cleaner
maximum of 3 parts that you actually found in a dumpster/container.

Sounds interesting?

Jedi-Loreen
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Not for this contest.

I suppose the Council can discuss it for a possible later contest.

beggarsoutpost
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Alright this sounds like fun count me in....

Cantina Chef
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Count me In....Just ordered my parts

Lord Maul
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
There is no divide between veteran members and new ones. There will not be one. Period. This is a forum, not a high school full of cliques.

Enolmano, that could be a possibility for a future contest. This contest has its rules set and they will not be changing anytime soon.

Sunrider
01-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Please don't misunderstand me I don't want to divide the community. I simply feel like I'd be playing 18 holes against Tiger Woods without a full set of clubs.

I think I will still submit an entry, If I can finish something by then.:)

Lord Maul
01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Also, quite a few of the veteran sabersmiths probably won't enter. LDM isn't, last I heard, and I will not.

cardcollector
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
In my mind...
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

While it would be fun to win. I just feel priveleged to be competing with everyone...

astromech_kuhns
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
so glad i emailed tim about this!

when is the deadline for the contest?

Lord Maul
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Read the original post! It is in big red bold underlined letters! This is the third time I've been asked what the deadline is.

astromech_kuhns
01-20-2010, 11:06 PM
thank you and sorry i didnt see it.

i am so in! my Birthday is in april, so ill get some cash by then, till then im on the look out for anything!

Good luck to all!

glad your entering to ARKM!:D

Lord Dottore Matto
01-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Where would the line be drawn?

Hmmm good question. Some contests have different categories like noob, skilled, & pro. With each new comp winners are leveled up but at the first challenge this doesn't necessarily apply.:(

Unfortunately there will not be any line drawn. But on the bright side, I will NOT be entering.;)

Enolmano
01-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Then count me in for the real one.

And do consider it for a later contest. I think it would be greate fun! And I think stuff like that are a good way to "evolve" saber building. Its when you have to go the extremes, and realle have to use your creativity that you invent things. Generally speaking.

Crystal Chambers
01-21-2010, 05:32 AM
I can't wait to see all these sabers posted.

I do like the idea of more experimental design and material on another contest. If you've heard my craziness you know I have some unusual and fun ideas.

Blue Fox
01-21-2010, 05:50 AM
*As she opens her mouth, the forum holds it's breath to see if she will cram her foot in it again with Pitchforks at the ready*

No Renders? aww... well in that respect I do have the upper hand I guess. Especially since I managed to get my hands on a brand new GeForce graphics card.

*sigh* okay, well... we'll see how things go. if I enter it will be my 1st saber build.

TimeRender
01-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I've read the rules and know that you're only allowing one entry per person, but since we have two categories to compete in, wouldn't it make sense to allow everyone to enter once per category?

Lord Maul
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
We decided against that. This way everyone just has one shot period, it helps balance things. Not everyone can make a saber for each. Enter in the category you feel strongest about.

BF - TCSS is a saberbuilding website ;)

DJMoonbass
01-21-2010, 12:27 PM
aw bummer i was hoping to see a LDM and LM custom! and i think competing with the Master sabermiths would be a challenge worth while!

TimeRender
01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I guess that's fair. It prevents one person from walking away with both 1st place prizes.

Sunrider
01-21-2010, 05:56 PM
DJ aw bummer i was hoping to see a LDM and LM custom! and i think competing with the Master sabermiths would be a challenge worth while!

Do not think you will have no competition.;)

eastern57
01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Part of the reason "all members" was chosen was in the hopes that a good number of folks would rise to the challenge. There may be some less-than-over-confident-corellian-cats out there - but certainly no shortage of talent.

And you'd be surprised at how a little pressure can motivate a saber builder... trust me. ;)

btw, no LDM or LM.... but I'm still in. :D ;) ... And I'm pretty sure I won't win.

Eco
01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm very excited for this. I've had a few designs kicking around in my mind for a long time now, but never had the gumption to start on.
But this provides an interesting chance to bust a few concepts out... If I can afford it.
Between a new saber and finishing my Mando, I'll be strapped!

Donnovan Sunrider
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I have three scratch-built hilts I've been looking at getting a start on, so I'll likely enter whichever of them I get done first.

DJMoonbass
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Part of the reason "all members" was chosen was in the hopes that a good number of folks would rise to the challenge. There may be some less-than-over-confident-corellian-cats out there - but certainly no shortage of talent.

And you'd be surprised at how a little pressure can motivate a saber builder... trust me. ;)

btw, no LDM or LM.... but I'm still in. :D ;) ... And I'm pretty sure I won't win.

oh totally. in im pretty sure i wont win either. im just in this for all the high fructose eye candy! and its a good excuse to throw my parents for saber parts TEE HEE! and im bummed cuz its been a while since ive seen an LDM custom beauty. lol. and im not over confident just overly enthusiastic! hey eastern you should go mako blade! well time to get some TCSS parts!

Lan-Ja Hamil
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Sweet! Now I have another reason to get started on my build. :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm in. I have a design in mind. I just have to wait for payday to order parts.

Blue Fox
01-22-2010, 02:23 AM
BF - TCSS is a saberbuilding website ;)

Hey! my models don't just spring forth from my imagination or come in a box. all my work comes from stock polygons that has to be cut,shaped and finished more so than putting TCSS parts together thank you. In other words you cant even compete with me in the digital world. So Neeeeeeh :P

Dakarn
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Put my Manly Order in for my build parts. :)

Donnovan Sunrider
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
In other words you cant even compete with me in the digital world. So Neeeeeeh :P

That'll be useful if we get scanned into the Tron universe. :rolleyes:

xl97
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM

lmao...

Im wondering if BF forgets it also take modeling in CAD programs to make the CAM files for the CNC machines to cut..

sounds as if the machinist trade isnt very well respected.
There is a learning curve that comes with learning how to even USE a machine like a lathe or mill to it full 'potential'..without even adding in any CAD/CAM software to the mix......

Rhyen Skytracker
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Blue Fox, this would be the perfect opportunity to make a saber out of one of your renders.

Lord Maul
01-22-2010, 09:12 PM

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_spit.gif

All joking aside, building a saber and rendering a saber are completely different animals, unless you are working with CNC in which case they are tied together.

acerocket
01-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey! my models don't just spring forth from my imagination or come in a box. all my work comes from stock polygons that has to be cut,shaped and finished more so than putting TCSS parts together thank you. In other words you cant even compete with me in the digital world. So Neeeeeeh :P

In all due respect Ms. Fox, you can't even compete with me in the real world.

What do think happens when you send one of those glorified flat pictures to a machinist? They hold the picture up in front of their machine and say "This is what I want, I'm going to get a drink, you better have it finished when I get back!" Those pictures are nice and I don't doubt for a minute you spend a lot of time creating one, but they are practically useless to the machinist other than as a reference picture.

I get pretty 3D renders all the time asking me to do a custom saber for someone. Since I do all my machining on CNC machines, I would first have to completely remodel the design in a format my equipment needs. I have to worry about such trivial things as fitting in a soundboard, batteries, LED and optics, switches and other features. I have to verify that the whole saber will fit together before I machine it or it is pointless to even start. Smiths like Do-Clo and Vader's Vault do not use CNC but machine by hand. I bet they also need to concern themselves with how things are going to fit and probably make drawings and sketches to help them figure it out. All this planning, sketching, drawing, drafting and modelling takes time too. People are shocked when I send them a quote because I have to add 50-200 dollars to the price to cover my costs to take the time necessary to re-model the saber. For some reason, people assume a CNC machine is a gigantic 3D photocopier. I put a flat picture into the controller and out pops a fully finished real world object.

Look, I have no desire to start an argument with you, but I feel you have come into a thread about a saber building contest and started insulting all those who are choosing to enter this contest. If you would like to build a saber and enter, then good luck with your entry. If not, then please don't stir up trouble for those that will choose to enter. If you would like to see a design contest, then by all means, contact Tim and ask him if you can start one.

One last point. Don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back to hard. I have seen your work and it is very nice. But don't assume others aren't capable of doing fantastic model/render work. I know of several other members work that I find very nice as well. I myself have done more than a few designs (Killer Penny, accurate Obi TPM, K3GR1, etc). I currently have a design in the works that is going to trump all the previous designs in terms of complexity and Cram-Fu. The JSSDC members know which nightmare I speak of.

Sidd
01-23-2010, 09:17 AM
DO the Sabers build for the contest have to be traditional style lightsabers or can we use some freedoms? if you need further explainations please PM me

Matt Thorn
01-23-2010, 09:21 AM
In all due respect Ms. Fox, you can't even compete with me in the real world.
<SNIP>
The JSSDC members know which nightmare I speak of.
Whoa. Take it easy. She was joking. Tongue in cheek, you know?

Do-Clo
01-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't believe Blue Fox means any disrespect towards machinists or sabersmiths, she is just pointing out that doing advanced 3d renders is a art from in it's self. We need to learn to learn to apprieciate and repsect each others talents what ever then are.

acerocket
01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
If I read more into Blue Fox's post than she meant, then I appoligize for my comments. I will leave them up instead of editing for others to read and possibly to think a little on.

I do understand the digital realm is where we are heading. All these 3D saber renders are great to see, but a lot of the times, they just can't be built. The real world still exists and things need to physically exist. I see it all the time. I get a fancy 3D render of a saber but the customer gets angry when I say I can't make it or charge what they feel is an unfair price. If you are doing modeling, please remember to take into account real world physics. I cannot cram a Crystal Focus, two 18650 cells, a recharge port, speaker, blinky LED strip, light up crystal chamber, two switches, and whatever else you can think of into a .75" diameter x 2" long space inside your design.

xl97
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't believe Blue Fox means any disrespect towards machinists or sabersmiths, she is just pointing out that doing advanced 3d renders is a art from in it's self. We need to learn to learn to apprieciate and repsect each others talents what ever then are.

it goes both ways..

Lord Maul
01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
DO the Sabers build for the contest have to be traditional style lightsabers or can we use some freedoms? if you need further explainations please PM me

Any saber you build can be entered. It has to light up. That is basically the only requirement.

All right...argument needs to stop now. Everyone has made their points. Any more posts about this will be removed.

Sidd
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Any saber you build can be entered. It has to light up. That is basically the only requirement.

one Maglight and duct tape special on the way lol

I am kidding mostly

Ryan S
01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
ok so I don't post here often
I have a new build in the work that is completely mind blowing to me
especially being a hybrid of machining / welding / stock components and found item
Hopefully i can complete it in time and enter ...
only time can tell at this point

strengthofrage
01-23-2010, 03:40 PM
...Time to dust off the dremmel ;)

Sidd
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
what happens when everyone enters and just votes for themselves?

TimeRender
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I imagine they will have elimination rounds like they did with the design contest. Plus I'm sure not EVERYONE will enter.

Rhyen Skytracker
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
That means everyone wins. Yea!!!!!

Treadingwolf
01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
This sounds like fun. I think i may see what i can come up with. I'm looking forward to all the eye candy too! :)

Blue Fox
01-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a cunning plan... I shall enter this contest of building. And it shall be good.

Donnovan Sunrider
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Outstanding. Grab a Dremel and go to town!

Blue Fox
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh, I am not even going to use a Dremel. Just wait and see. :D I'm about 1/3 of the way through the build.

Matt Thorn
01-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh, I am not even going to use a Dremel. Just wait and see. :D I'm about 1/3 of the way through the build.
Now, now. Don't want to give away too much there. ;)

Anakin2Solo
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I am building my first MHS saber and I would like to enter it. Does this mean I cannot post any build pictures on the web site? Would posting pictures disqualify me in the contest?

xl97
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I believe sabers/builds..etc are to be kept anonymous.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Yep. Keep it under your hat until it's finished. When it's done, send the pictures to Lord Maul. He'll reveal all of them at the same time.

The contest is designed to be anonymous so that no one has any advantage.

Anakin2Solo
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, that is what I am afraid of. I am so excited about my first saber and I would love feedback, but I like the idea of the contest. I know a beginner like myself has no chance, but I still want to enter. I guess I will keep it to myself until after the contest is over.

Donnovan Sunrider
01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

You're using all hand tools? Impressive. Especially with how fast it's apparently going.
You're doing your own entry, right? ;)

TroyO
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Ahhhhh crap.... I think my "Honey Do:" list just became a "Honey Didn't!" list......

Darth Biff
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Greetings all,

So, for those of use in the noob, what exactly are the criteria that the judging will be based on? New and/or innovative design? Super neat and well-dressed wiring? Blade colour and diffusion pattern? It just looks cool?

I ask because wiring skills, I have. A machine shop in my basement, I do not.

Lord Maul
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
The judges are the forum. People will vote on what saber they think deserves the title. There isn't really a defined criteria.

beggarsoutpost
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Greetings all,

So, for those of use in the noob, what exactly are the criteria that the judging will be based on? New and/or innovative design? Super neat and well-dressed wiring? Blade colour and diffusion pattern? It just looks cool?

I ask because wiring skills, I have. A machine shop in my basement, I do not.
Yes... but for the most part... if you map out your build well there are services offered in the store that can help create the saber you've designed...

cardcollector
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
The saber will be judged on as a whole.

Hilt, wiring difficulty (and the looks), blade brightness, the whole shebang.:cool:

It is nice not to have one specific area judged, because everyone has specific strengths and weaknesses...

May the best saber win.

Do-Clo
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a question about the rule of mhs parts can be modified by Tim, would it violate the rules if I modded the mhs parts, I have had a few people inquire about having me mod their mhs parts.

Blue Fox
01-25-2010, 08:52 PM
You're using all hand tools? Impressive. Especially with how fast it's apparently going.
You're doing your own entry, right? ;)

I'm not giving anything away. But I do have something that needs to be addressed.
(this is me being serious btw.)
I did go to college where I studied basic Engineering. I do know how to use lathes, milling machines, arc weld (or stick weld as it is known in places) acetylene weld, braze and cut. I also did bench fitting ( also known as hacking and slashing) fabrication, electronic soldering, and technical drawing. So to those who are worried about my credentials I have a City and Guilds 228, ENTRA Craft TR-21 as well as certificates in manufacturing. So I am not entirely stupid. If you have a question about my entry then feel free to ask me. I may or may not divulge requested information. So please, stop skulking around behind my back. I'm sure the council members here have better things to do than answer questions about me and what I am doing.

Although, I have to wonder how many of you are worried that you wont be able to tell the difference between my CGI work and a real physical entry.

I apologize for this being here, but after it came to my attention that people were worried about my work, I felt this was the best place to put it.
( I'm done being serious)
You may now return to your original programming.:P

Lord Maul
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I have a question about the rule of mhs parts can be modified by Tim, would it violate the rules if I modded the mhs parts, I have had a few people inquire about having me mod their mhs parts.

I think that if the person is ordering parts from the store, they should have Tim do it. If they have the parts in hand, then they can send it to a 3rd part so that Tim's shop doesn't get clogged up.

Aradian Valentine
01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
wow! so excited for this! I am starting my plans right now!

ArkaiHalon
01-26-2010, 07:33 AM
I think that the most important rule of any contest has been forgotten.

HAVE FUN!

Entering a contest should not be about winning, or the prize. It should be about having a good time doing something you enjoy with people of similar mindset. Pushihng yourself and your abilities in new directions.

For whatever reason, the people of this site are in love with Lightsabers.
use your love to fuel your submission. And then let those that share your passion enjoy the fruits of your labor.

The spirit of THIS competition is to build your own saber. If you have to farm out portions of it to be machined or powder coated, so be it. The actual design and build should be your own work. To say that you did it. to have fun.

If you are capable of churning out the next Killer Penny, then I can't wait to see it. In the end the real winner of this contest is anyone that can see what's been submitted by every entrant and draw inpsiration and renewed passion for this hobby. I intend to be one of those winners.

Do you?

My name is Arkai Halon, and I approve this message.

Aradian Valentine
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a question about soundboard usage, would a saber that is MHS parts except for the soundboard still qualify for the MHS saber competition?
In other words does the MHS entry have to have a US 2.5?

beggarsoutpost
01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a question about soundboard usage, would a saber that is MHS parts except for the soundboard still qualify for the MHS saber competition?
In other words does the MHS entry have to have a US 2.5?1. Yes...
2.No...

Jedi-Loreen
01-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Why would it?

You can put whatever sound board in it that you have access to.

But it doesn't have to have a sound board, it just needs to have an LED that lights up.

Aradian Valentine
01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Thank you Beggarsoutpost.

Jedi-Loreen
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Guess you didn't like my answer. :rolleyes:

Goltar Bias
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Gave me what I need to know for my design, didn't even have to ask just read can't beat that.

Lord Maul
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Rules updated, see the bottom of the first post. Hopefully this will stop the incessant complaining about the contest. ;)

ARKM
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
If you want Tim, Do-Clo, etc to modify parts, that is fine and acceptable. Having someone build the entire saber and you finishing is not acceptable. Then also post that when submitting your entry, you must specifically list who did what. For example: Holder2 modified by TCSS, Shilt2 modified by Do-Clo, powdercoating by Gemini Concepts, all other work by X. That way, when the sabers are presented for voting, this information goes along for people to make decisions.

This kind of defeats the reason for the contest rule of anonymity. It might be better if that info be submitted to you so that you can determine whether or not the saber is eligible in the first place but not to the rest of us for voting purposes. Personally I could care less which way you decide to go with this, I'm just pointing out how this new info conflicts with the reason for the anonymity rule.

Jedi-Loreen
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
You still won't know who's actually submitting the saber though.

ARKM
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Doesn't matter, you'll know who did the work so one could vote for their favorite sabersmith in that regard. To me it just seems to defeat the purpose of the anonymity rule as originally described. Don't get me wrong, I could care less if there is an anonymity rule or not... but if there's going to be one, why do it half way? That's just my humble opinion on the matter.

pipster79
01-26-2010, 06:18 PM
you guys just dont get it. you send that information to LM with your entry. it wont be posted for voting with your entry. perhaps after the voting is done that information may be added
all we will see for voting is pictures with the sabers name to vote on. no other information should be included to give away who's saber, or who did what on it.

Matt Thorn
01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I trust the Council members to decide what information is appropriate to make public about each entry. I for one am very happy with the new clarifications.

Lord Maul
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
you guys just dont get it. you send that information to LM with your entry. it wont be posted for voting with your entry. perhaps after the voting is done that information may be added
all we will see for voting is pictures with the sabers name to vote on. no other information should be included to give away who's saber, or who did what on it.

No, everyone will see the stats of the saber.

pipster79
01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
in that case i agree with the others on that matter then. i was under the influence this was to be a totally anonymous contest
if anything id suggest that it just be said that x part was modified by tcss to builders specs or x part was modified by third party to builders specs to keep it completely anonymous till the contest is over. no third party names should be mentioned till after voting

jmo

acerocket
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
You guys are getting a little carried away here. Relax and just enjoy the contest for what it is. I don't see why there would be a problem listing who did what modifications to a part as long as the entrant is anonymous. I suspect there will be a lot of custom modified by TCSS and maybe some Do-Clo in there too. The reason for the anonymous entry is so that once the entries are submitted it does not become a popularity contest - or a 'don't vote for XXXXX because they are a jerk'. It was institued to make sure everyone has a fair chance and no one can cry foul. Everyone has their own style and I suspect once the entries are posted, some will be pattently obvious who the maker is. We just tried to make the playing field as level as possible. So I don't see why it should matter that it is listed who did what modification work. In fact, I would prefer to see a listing of who did extraneous work if any was done by a third party. I would tend to weight my vote more heavily in favor of someone who did all the work themselves than over someone who may have had a nicer saber but only did the final painting. I tend to reward hard work over resourcefullness myself.

cardcollector
01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
c'mon guys! Just read the first page carefully...

Let's not make this hard...:rolleyes:

Do-Clo
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Any parts mhs parts that I mod for contest for people will be my secret as to who had what done so it doesn't matter if they list parts modded by me I am not saying a word.:mrgreen:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
All I know is that I'm bringing my A-Game, and you had all better step up! ;)

Jedi-Loreen
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
You're not the one that needs to say anything, Don. They are.

And we'll be able to tell whether an MHS part has been modified and they are not forthcoming with the information.

ARKM
01-27-2010, 03:39 AM
The reason for the anonymous entry is so that once the entries are submitted it does not become a popularity contest - or a 'don't vote for XXXXX because they are a jerk'. It was institued to make sure everyone has a fair chance and no one can cry foul.

In fact, I would prefer to see a listing of who did extraneous work if any was done by a third party. I would tend to weight my vote more heavily in favor of someone who did all the work themselves than over someone who may have had a nicer saber but only did the final painting. I tend to reward hard work over resourcefullness myself.

Ok, so going by the above, the council members feel that it's not ok to rule in favor or disfavor for knowing who mainly built the hilt and submitted it but feel that it is ok to rule in favor or disfavor for knowing what 3rd parties did most of the custom work on a hilt... Hmm.

Now that I know the actual intent of the rule, I understand it... but it just doesn't seem like the best way to go about that which you are trying to achieve. Basically that's making sure that those who did not do most of the work on their own entry are prejudiced against. Why not just disqualify a person who had to much 3rd party work done? Shouldn't we should be voting on the best saber, not the best artist or who did what? If someone outsources too much, just disqualify them. Just a thought.

In case anyone gets upset over what I just posted, please remember that just because a person may not agree with you, doesn't necessarily mean that you should be upset with them (depends on the topic of course). We are all entitled to our own opinions. I have not intentionally insulted anyone here nor am I upset with anyone. I am simply pointing out something that I don't agree with. I don't agree with it because it's a bit too "defeating the purpose" too me. If you don't agree. That's great. I'm perfectly fine with people not agreeing with me. It's all good.

To be clear, I am fine with the anonymity rule as it currently is, in regards to my entry but felt the need to point out that which does not seem logical to me and should not be overlooked by the masses. I realize now that I should have done this via PMs to the council members as by doing it here, it could appear that I am insulting the logic or reasoning ability of those that made the rules. For that I apologize as such was not my intent. We all overlook stuff (or intentionally do something that may not seem agreeable or make sense to others and thus can appear to be an oversight). Please don't poke me too hard with the pitchforks.

eastern57
01-27-2010, 05:35 AM
*pokes ARKM with regular fork... no pitching. ;) I know what you mean, ARKM. But perhaps I can clarify.

The individual submitting the overall work will ultimately be the one responsible for taking the overall credit. That person is to remain anonymous for the reasons that Ace stated. We're all familiar with the honor system... so there's no sense brow-beating y'all [anymore] with it.

The reason for listing contracted services, is to offer credit to those that helped you. Like winning an Oscar: "I'd like to thank so-and-so for this-and-that, home-slice for the home-run, etc..." Most everyone is good about it... but we'd like to know anyway. ;)

All I know is that I'm bringing my A-Game, and you had all better step up! ;)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/JSS/bigbigtrouble.jpg

;)

Crystal Chambers
01-27-2010, 05:51 AM
I for one could careless who did what as a saber's qualities should be judged on just that.

If I hate you and your build is best in my eyes you'll get my vote. Don't be so petty and give credit where it's due.
If it's only been designed, or fully machined from scratch doesn't matter to me here. As far as I can see this is about the best build not the builder.

Hopefully more people can see the contest this way.:)

Then again none ya'll might get my vote if I submit cause I'll need all the votes I can get..lol;)

FenderBender
01-27-2010, 06:03 AM
I guess I don't get what all the complaining is about. Its a friggin' contest for cripes sake. You know, for fun. Its not some life changing event that you have to get your panties in a knot about. Either enter and enjoy or sit out and pout to yourself. The rules are fine as they are, no more clarification is needed. If anymore rules get written, we'll need a whole new committee just for rule implementation.

ARKM
01-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I guess I don't get what all the complaining is about. Its a friggin' contest for cripes sake. You know, for fun. Its not some life changing event that you have to get your panties in a knot about.

My panties ride smoothly thank you very much. I mean... I don't wear panties. That would be silly. *nervous laughter*

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the sabers entered into this contest. I'm sure there will be a lot of awesome ones.

FenderBender
01-27-2010, 06:19 AM
LOL!

Good, now get back in the shop, you're wastin' valuable build time! :D

Rhyen Skytracker
01-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I agree with Fender, it is just a contest and the number one rule is JUST HAVE FUN!!!!!! That is why is it anonymous, so no one knows who built what and evoryone can JUST HAVE FUN building a saber. :D

xl97
01-27-2010, 06:48 AM
^^^ Winner winner chicken dinner!

Rhyen Skytracker
01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Too bad Crystal Chambers already has her rubber chicken lightsaber as her icon. I think that would have won hands down. LOL

Crystal Chambers
01-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Rhyen you're a bad influence. But obviously you're joking.

hehe..I just photoshopped the rubber chicken avatar but I might actually have to make one eventually.
I have a few other joke sabers ideas I wanna make. Maybe not worthy of CF but it would be piece of cake to do some stunts.

Silverwing
01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I dig the rubber chicken idea; clown Star Wars fans everywhere would start following you around waiting for their chance to swipe it...

Skottsaber
01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
You could try and market it as a novel turkey knife! :rolleyes:

galen marek
01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
lol, i made one of these competitions when i joined :roll:

xl97
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
made or entered?.....

galen marek
01-27-2010, 12:07 PM
made :) lol

xl97
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
huh?

like on te TCSS forums? (official?)

or where? who entered? (who won?) :)

Jonitus
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I had given consideration to entering this contest. After reading all the belly-aching and whining going on, I don't want to be associated with it. There's a few folks who have a very skewed idea about things and it would seem that their goal is victory, not the act of building a saber in the spirit of competition.

If you see this contest as a way to try and tout your own magnificence if you win, you have no business being in this contest...or in this hobby for that matter. If you feel you need to resort to having all your work done by other people because you lack the skills to do it yourself or to...actually be creative, then you shouldn't enter. If you want to argue about the difference between drawing pretty pictures of lightsabers versus actually getting your hands dirty building one, then you shouldn't enter.

Tim is gracious enough to put up prizes for this contest, and what do a few of you do? Whine like a bunch of impudent children who need to have their noses stuck in the corner. You whine because the rules are too restrictive. You whine because you are limited in some miniscule way and...might not win...aww...too bad. Only one person will win. That's the way it works. You do your best and see what happens. It doesn't do any good to complain about it. Suck it up and accept it, or don't enter. Not everyone is going home with a trophy.

Jedi-Loreen
01-27-2010, 02:38 PM
lol, i made one of these competitions when i joined :roll:

You must be talking about this pointless thread that you started under your original User Name:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2109

A "competition" that nobody ever participated in, even though the thread went on for 9 pages. :rolleyes:

DJMoonbass
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
wow. look at what happened. man i would say this thread got nasty. i kinda agree with jonitus, if this is going to be a huge contest to see who is the better sabersmith then i think this is just a waste of time. i was just planning on entering to show of the top of my skills and see other peoples work.

this kinda just got..... scary.

xl97
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
DJ-

you do realize that was a 'pun/reversal' on the verbiage used by Blue Fox (verbatim)...right?

So was it equally as rude for her to say it 'first'?

I mean being 'fair' is 'being fair'..... even if the person 'wrong' is form your own 'camp'.... right?

DJMoonbass
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
yeah true good point x197. BASICALLY i think this should have been taken care of differnetly.

xl97
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Im not pointing the finger at either/anyone..

Im just saying for you to say someone is rude for saying the same exact 'phrase/statement'.. back to the person prior did.. without the first being held accountable is a little... I dont know.. foolish? unfair? If your statement was made, consciencely being one-sided/jaded, and/or in favor a of freind/comrade.. so be it. (and you entitled to be that way of course)..

then people may call you out on it....

a simple rebuttle/defense to a post that comes/came off as an attack or insulting.

surely if 'anything' the blame would be divided?

anywho.. (this is tiring)

and the contest rules should be clear(er) now.. and hopefully not so many people complaining.

in reality (as in all things in life).. if you dont like something.. move on/dont participate. you time would be better spent than complaining about something you or I have no control over. (like making a saber, or reading a book)

oh, by the way..

its xl97 by the way as in lowercase "L" ;)

ARKM
01-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Well I certainly hope none of this has anything to do with my posts (yes I'm paranoid and yes I think the world revolves around me ;) ). If it did, I'm sorry as such was not my intent. Let's just say that when I see something that I feel STRONGLY should be different/changed, for whatever reason, I don't keep my mouth shut. Gets me into a lot of trouble it does. That said... why can't we all just get along. *ducks for cover*

:D

As for what BF posted, I'm 100% sure she was just joking around in a "good-natured ribbing" sort of way. That's how I read it anyways.

Lord Maul
01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I had given consideration to entering this contest. After reading all the belly-aching and whining going on, I don't want to be associated with it. There's a few folks who have a very skewed idea about things and it would seem that their goal is victory, not the act of building a saber in the spirit of competition.

If you see this contest as a way to try and tout your own magnificence if you win, you have no business being in this contest...or in this hobby for that matter. If you feel you need to resort to having all your work done by other people because you lack the skills to do it yourself or to...actually be creative, then you shouldn't enter. If you want to argue about the difference between drawing pretty pictures of lightsabers versus actually getting your hands dirty building one, then you shouldn't enter.

Tim is gracious enough to put up prizes for this contest, and what do a few of you do? Whine like a bunch of impudent children who need to have their noses stuck in the corner. You whine because the rules are too restrictive. You whine because you are limited in some miniscule way and...might not win...aww...too bad. Only one person will win. That's the way it works. You do your best and see what happens. It doesn't do any good to complain about it. Suck it up and accept it, or don't enter. Not everyone is going home with a trophy.

QFT. If you don't like the rules of the contest, then don't enter. these rules were thrown around for well over a week before posted. The Council put a lot of work into it. No one is forcing you to enter.

cardcollector
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Have I mentioned I love it when Jonitus posts???:D

This is a contest. in order for their to be a contest, there has to be losers (like me:)).

in other words...
If you can't stand the heat- get away from the lightsaber blade.:cool:

DJMoonbass
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
its not the heat. its all the attitude. competition from other sabersmiths is fine. its the attitude that all this event has stirred up. its not a comptetion to build the best saber, its a competion to see who is better then who. whos the better sabersm. thats just what im seeing.

cardcollector
01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
OH...

Then,
Nothing personal, its just good building...

;-)

Rhyen Skytracker
01-27-2010, 07:27 PM
This is a contest. in order for their to be a contest, there has to be losers (like me:)).
:cool:

Don't worry CC, you won't be by yourself. I will be there right beside you. LOL But at least I will try.

DJMoonbass
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
same here. :) im gunna give it all i got.;)

Rafalema
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Shouldn't we make a deal that only maul posts new entries and we can comment on them? Cause now here's 7 pages of posts, and not even a single entry.

Im interested in seeing the competition sabers.

Lord Maul
01-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Entries will be posted all at once, dude. They are due at the end of April, like the OP says.

Jedi-Loreen
01-28-2010, 03:31 AM
The Original Post says May 20th, not the end of April.

You might want to make that a different color, say blue or green. With all that red, it's kind of hard to find. Just a suggestion.

Blue Fox
01-28-2010, 04:17 AM
As for what BF posted, I'm 100% sure she was just joking around in a "good-natured ribbing" sort of way. That's how I read it anyways.

(Serious)
Its exactly how I intended it, thank you.
As Kenny Everet use to say, "It was all in the best possible taste".
Anyway, Ace Rocket and I PMed each other and I think we got things cleared up. I hope. lol. I could in no way be given a CNC machine having never used one before ( I did all my work in college by hand) and produce a saber hilt right off the bat. I included screencaps of my toolset so you can see what I start off with and what I have when I am done (the 1st 2 images are the modeling program) and where the model goes to be rendered, (the next 2 images).
there's buttons and tabs galore with boxes within boxes. Now imagine building the Battlestar Galactica from the new(er) show. this is the same program they used to do the ship battles with.kind of off topic, but I felt like letting you fine people into my head...er... world... for a moment. ^_^
NOT Serious
This is my kung fu, and it is strong. :P

Matt Thorn
01-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Just when I thought things had been ironed out and everyone was more or less happy, someone throws gasoline on the dying embers--by means of a whiny post about whiny posts. :rolleyes: Maybe it's time to lock the thread to comments from non-Council members. Just my two credits.

EDIT: Blue Fox posted as I was writing. That's Blender she's working with, and I struggled for an hour just trying to make a bloody cylinder on it before my leetle brain exploded and I threw up my hands. Anyone who thinks she's just "drawing pretty pictures," be my guest and try to do the same thing. You will have my enormous admiration if you succeed. As Do-Clo pointed out quite a few pages back (IIRC), different members have different talents, and that's a very cool thing. I think the contest as it is defined now will give us all a chance to show off those different talents and have fun in the process.

Blue Fox
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
EDIT: Blue Fox posted as I was writing. That's Blender she's working with, and I struggled for an hour just trying to make a bloody cylinder on it before my leetle brain exploded and I threw up my hands. Anyone who thinks she's just "drawing pretty pictures," be my guest and try to do the same thing.

lol. Sorry hun, it's not blender its Lightwave 9.3 (it says so on the screencaps) :P

Matt Thorn
01-28-2010, 11:02 AM
lol. Sorry hun, it's not blender its Lightwave 9.3 (it says so on the screencaps) :P
See what I mean? It's all Greek to me. :p

Aradian Valentine
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I wanted to thank LM and the council and everyone behind the scenes that helped get this going. I have been hoping for something like this to happen and am honored and excited to participate.

Lord Maul
02-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Been a month since this was bumped, so
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_bump.gif

Invisas1979
02-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Still looking forward to this.

Since my part built saber was rejected as an entry, I have designed a new saber which is in the works. Really looking forward to showing (anonymously) you guys.

MTFBWM and not you..... :rolleyes:

Darth Midian
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I started a saber last week that I'm going to enter. I'm glad that I get to participate in this event. This is to cool. I can't wait to see the sabers the other members are building. Thank you, have fun and good luck to everyone participating.

Ryan S
02-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Entries will be posted all at once, dude. They are due at the end of April, like the OP says.

Sweet ....I was thinking that they were due at the end of march for some reason.
I'm halfway done already and have an extra month to work on it !

Lord Maul
03-08-2010, 05:54 PM
There's been some confusion from several people on how to send me the pictures. Hopefully this will clear that up...

When your saber is done, host the pictures yourself on photobucket.
Send me an email with urls for the pictures along with teh specs for your saber.
I will then save and re-host the pictures on a new photobucket account.

Lord Maul
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Bump. Don't forget about this, folks. The due date will creep up quickly.

DJMoonbass
03-29-2010, 12:06 AM
mines almost done!

Shadar Al'Niende
03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Unfortunately my wifes saber (which i would enter but have already posted renders of in the shoutbox) has to come next, i promised her.... On top of that I'm not sure i will have the funds for that AND an additional saber by May 20th :(

I would LOVE to do this contest, we definitely should hold another soon after...

cardcollector
03-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree, maybe 1 every six months...:D

Hold on, focus... stay on target, STAY ON TARGET!:cool:

astromech_kuhns
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Hold on, focus... stay on target, STAY ON TARGET!:cool:

you probably need to pull out of there.

Jase Kala Maris
03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Oh I'm looking forward to this, I'll definitely submit. I almost missed this entire thread.

Personally it didn't bother me much about all the whining and smack talk. I've played a lot of sports in my life and when you get two peeps or more together competing it happens. If you’re young you can end up taking it personally, if you’re an adult you can have some fun with it. SOME people take things to far... That's a shame but I usually look at it as someone or something got to them and they lashed out.

I think this is a great idea and everyone who can build a saber should enter! No #$%%^& out! No excuses for not wanting to play! No excuses for not having the skill or experience others have, no ones expecting all the sabers to be equal, and to be honest I've seen some "famed" saber smiths put out some nasty/ugly sabers and some noobs put them to shame just by combining MHS parts from Tim in a way that no one thought of, or having savant-like "dremel foo".

I say whine. I say talk smack. The more you do the less time you’re spending making the saber lol.

Good luck everyone!

Jase Kala Maris
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Sorry Maul, I didn't think of that as a swear word, but your right my bad :(

DJMoonbass
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
well tomorrow i finish mine up and send im pics and specs to LM!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

oh and tava good luck buddy!!!!

cardcollector
04-01-2010, 05:57 AM
I think this is a great idea and everyone who can build a saber should enter! No #$%%^& out! No excuses for not wanting to play! No excuses for not having the skill or experience others have, no ones expecting all the sabers to be equal, and to be honest I've seen some "famed" saber smiths put out some nasty/ugly sabers and some noobs put them to shame just by combining MHS parts from Tim in a way that no one thought of, or having savant-like "dremel foo".

What about not having money, that's an excuse isn't it???:(:(:(;)

I think we should all live in the 24th century where we don't have to worry about currency...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! I'm hit.... Getting out of here... (It seems that I am determied to de-rail this thread...)

Jase Kala Maris
04-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Money isn't an excuse it's a reality. If you don't got it you don't got it.
I wish everyone had the money to build a saber for this contest. I wish I had more money to do so things I wanted to.

Money sucks when you don't have it, and is AWWWWEsome when you do!

xl97
04-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Money aint everything!!...

(but having it is!)

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah but NOT having money is SOMEthing...and something NOT good :'''-(((

Funny thing about being a 100% Light Side poor mendicant Jedi...it works much better in SW fiction where even though they personally had no possessions other than their lightsabers they always seemed to have an 'unlimited expense account' from the not-at-all-poor Jedi Order to draw from for their missions LOL

Darth Real Life gets in the way of building cool saber designs that are in my head much more often than I'd like...but I'm hoping I can find the $$$ to get something in for this.

Lord Maul
04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Had a few questions about this, but there are no videos allowed in the contest. The Council thinks that pictures and a description are all that is necessary

Crystal Chambers
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
If this is just still images then this should be a stunt contest. Otherwise I could claim that I have all kinds of bells and whistles. Time to start rendering...muah hahah.

But seriously even just to prove that the submission really does what is claimed, and then post still images to vote on. The only issues I could see with this is trying to be anonymous, yet convenient with youtube. So it's sending and receiving video files anonymously that must be the real issue.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Just take a picture of the internals before you install them.

As far as I'm concerned, how well a saber is wired up is going to be a factor in my voting. If you create a beautiful looking saber, but the insides are full of electrical tape and wads of hot glue, then it will lose points. That's just my opinion.

Jedi-Loreen
04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes, we want to see pics of the internals/electronics set up too, not just the hilt itself.

chaos
04-03-2010, 05:59 AM
From the very first post in this thread:

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a maximum of TWO wiring shots

Jedi-Loreen
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Well, there you go! ;)

Matt Thorn
04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
And obviously once the voting is closed and the winner(s) decided, people can (and should!) upload all the videos and pics of their sabers they want to.

Jedi-Loreen
04-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Yep. ;)

DJMoonbass
04-03-2010, 10:12 PM
yay!!! all electronics are done! now all i have to do is bring clean er up and drill a blade retention hole and tap dat... lol.... tap dat.

astromech_kuhns
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
lol thats something you wont be doing for a long time..... "tapping dat"

anyway, the vid could maybe be hosted on like flickr, and then sent to LM just so that LM can verify it has everything it says it has. than if it does he post's them, if not, they dont get posted.

Jedi-Loreen
04-03-2010, 11:39 PM
The Council has already decided that no videos will be posted with the Contest Entries.

JamoUp
04-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Maybe if we get our neighbors to talk in the videos and use their homes, then people won't know who made the saber!

jk

Not sure why there is any discussion, the rules have been posted for a while. Follow the rules or don't play. You have to be this high if you want to go on the ride.

Tava
04-06-2010, 07:14 AM
oh and tava good luck buddy!!!!

Muahahahahaha:D

DJMoonbass
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
what about GIFs? with just a demonstration of the saber if does alot of things? food for thought

Lord Maul
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
No videos. Nothing animated, just still pictures.

DJMoonbass
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
ite. okay. cool. well guys my saber is IN. LM i have a PM that awaits you. hope you like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jase Kala Maris
04-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I've skimmed through the thread but didn't see anything about pic size, sorry if I missed it.

At first I assumed they'd be resized but then I thought again about 7 pics times everyone who submits and that's alot of time... also some pics look crappy when they get resized...

Anyway, any guidelines one size of pics? 4/6 inches or 1280/800 pixels etc etc etc?

Lord Maul
04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
They should be the same as the rest of the forum. 800x600 pixels max

Shadar Al'Niende
04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Most likely 800x600 as is the forum rules.

*EDIT* oops, missed LM's post....

Sloda Foade
04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I just found this thread. I am currently waiting on an order from TCSS (hasn't been shipped yet). Unfortunately I go in for an operation on Tuesday (27th April) and will be spending 2 weeks flat on my back so I don't think I'll have it ready in time. Does this competition occur every year, if so I might have to wait until next year.:(

cardcollector
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
This contest was the result of an idea from DJmoonbass....

As of right now this is a one time deal.
BUT
I wouldn't mind having a contest every 6 months...:rolleyes:

xl97
04-25-2010, 11:21 AM
This contest was the result of an idea from DJmoonbass....

really?

and not because of any of the other contests that happen or have happened in the past?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
He's right. IIRC, it was DJ's idea.

Sadly, I don't think my entry will be ready by the deadline. I just haven't had the time to put into it, and I'm not going to do a rush job.

cardcollector
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
really?

and not because of any of the other contests that happen or have happened in the past?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10006

;)

Sidd
04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
It is ok to cut shroud peices right?

i know the rules say not custom peices but shrouds are ok right?

Matt Thorn
04-26-2010, 09:32 AM
It is ok to cut shroud peices right?
Sure. If you want to imperil your immortal soul!
http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/relics/shroud-of-turin/shroud1.gif

i know the rules say not custom peices but shrouds are ok right?
The rule is against having others make custom pieces for you. As long as you're doing it yourself, you're free to customize all you want.

Sidd
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
That made me laugh thanks Matt

DJMoonbass
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Sadly, I don't think my entry will be ready by the deadline. I just haven't had the time to put into it, and I'm not going to do a rush job.

sorry to here that obi dar. :( im gettin anxious! deadlines commin up soon cant wait to see all the awesomeness!

Invisas1979
04-29-2010, 05:31 AM
I'm another who's not had time to put into this contest. I'll have two more on the boards within a couple of months but not for this comp.

Not happy about that as my new sith saber will be a doozey.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Maybe we petition the council for an extension? :rolleyes:

Lord Maul
04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Nope... You still have almost a month to work on it. I think that everyone had had plenty of time ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I had to postpone a couple of other saber projects but I manages to finish my saber and it is submitted. I look forward to seeing all the other sabers in the contest. Good Luck to all who entered. :-)

DJMoonbass
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
00000h d3@dlin3 i5 c0m1n up! g3t @ mov3 0n p3ople5! lol. m@n 1 c@nt w@1t t0 533 @ll th3 c001 5@b3r5!!!!

mihunai
05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
EVERYONE, HIDE! J-LO'S COMING!!!!

mTm!!!!

Skottsaber
05-04-2010, 12:16 PM
*hears faint sounds of angry steam train*

Roy's Blues
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
J-Lo's time is much to valuable to spend correcting such an obvious trolling attempt. :p

I have a few minutes, so I will attempt to translate and provide color commentary, thus feeding the troll.:)

00000h d3@dlin3 i5 c0m1n up!
oh Deadline is coming up.
The deadline is in the first post, those unaware will miss it anyway.:roll:

g3t @ mov3 0n p3ople5!
Get a move on people!
Your cheerleading attempt is lackluster. Try some pom-poms next time. For FSM's sake do not wear a short skirt.

lol.
Laugh out loud
eh, not so much

m@n 1 c@nt w@1t t0 533 @ll th3 c001 5@b3r5!!!!
Man, I cannot wait to see all the cool sabers.
Patience. Good builds are never rushed.

Now back to your regular contest thread.

DJMoonbass
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
lol.hahaha. i was just bored. :D:mrgreen:

cardcollector
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately I ran out of fund$ to build one for the contest....

I HAVE AN AWESOME DESIGN THOUGH!!!

Lord Maul
05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
As I am starting to receive more entries, I'd like to remind you all to follow the template I put in the original post. If you don't, then I have to rework your information to fit in with the rest of the entries. It is a pain. I shouldn't have to do it. Follow the entry procedures please.

Here's how I would like everything again.

Username: Superawesomejedi
Saber name: Spectra
Specs:
CFV4.1
LED Engin RGGB
Premium speaker
Momentary switch

<picture1>
<picture2>
<picture3>
<picture4>
<picture5>
<Wiring picture1>
<Wiring picture2 >

I'd like direct urls for the pictures, not links to photobucket albums. Thumbnails/img tags don't work on email, so leave those out.

Lord Maul
05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Bump. 11 days to go ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I can't wait to see all the awesome sabers in the contest. Will they be posted on the 20th and how long will we have to vote on them?

Treadingwolf
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah, i am really looking forward to all the yummy eye candy as well. :)

Lord Maul
05-09-2010, 06:21 PM
They will be posted within a day or two of the 20th, I hope. It depends on how many people enter, and how many follow the template, as I have to compile everything.

Voting will last for a week.

DJMoonbass
05-09-2010, 07:45 PM
so pumped OMG!

Jedi-Loreen
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I've been seeing people talking too much about their Contest sabers in the Shoutbox.

Remember this Contest is supposed to be Anonymous.

If you inadvertently drop too many hints about your saber, even in generalities, you could end up getting your saber disqualified.

Lord Maul
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
7 days left. I haven't gotten too many entries yet. Get those sabers done, folks!

Sidd
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
7 days left. I haven't gotten too many entries yet. Get those sabers done, folks!

I have a feeling mine is going to be an eleventh hour entry. I have just been so swamped with work and housework i havent had a chance to work on it.

It will be dont by May 19th even if i have to work my fingers to the bone. which might actually give the saber a cool blood splattering design :)

Shadar Al'Niende
05-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a feeling mine is going to be an eleventh hour entry. I have just been so swamped with work and housework i havent had a chance to work on it.

It will be dont by May 19th even if i have to work my fingers to the bone. which might actually give the saber a cool blood splattering design :)

*takes notes*

cool blood spattering design is Sidd's...

*looks up from his notes*

Wait wha-? :cool:

Matt Thorn
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, the saber I'm working on with Blue Fox won't be done in time for the contest :cry:, but we decided it would be better to make the best saber we can than to rush and make a less perfect saber for the contest. ;) Good luck to all the entrants! MTFBWY!

Crystal Chambers
05-13-2010, 05:38 PM
By how slow it's been for new saber's posted lately I'm guessing there will be a fair amount of entries. I'm sure anyone ambitious or new are taking all the time they have. I'm sure the day of the deadline I'll be down to "the wire" I just hope I put it in the right spot....lol. Not like I expect to win but I'd like to be part of the fun, and knowing my luck I'll hit a last minute snag and won't be able to ask anyone for help for fear of giving away what I'm doing.

Ryan S
05-14-2010, 05:05 PM
hey Lord Maul,
I do not see your e-mail in your profile, only instant messaging...

saber very close to entering for the contest!!

Lord Maul
05-14-2010, 09:55 PM
There is an option under 'contact me' to send an email. It is sent through the forum, you don't see my actual address.

Rhyen Skytracker
05-14-2010, 11:10 PM
WOO!!! HOO!!!! Only 5 days left before we get to see some awesome sabers. I know mine has a slim chance at winning but I just can't wait to see all the other killer sabers. Once again, good luck and may the force be with you!!! :p:p:p:p

Sidd
05-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Rhyen your's has just as good as a chance at winning as anyone else's but mind. Since mine isnt even done yet.

Man this feels like high school waiting till the last minute to write my essay lol.

Causa
05-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd love to enter, but my batteries and my TCSS order are arriving ON the 19th.

Since this is my first build, it's going to take awhile to assemble, too.

Ryan S
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
There is an option under 'contact me' to send an email. It is sent through the forum, you don't see my actual address.

I wish I could say "that was helpful":confused:

do you mean under 'contact info'?
also, I don't have Aol instant messenger which is required...

is there an alternative contact or e-mail address??

PLMK

ARKM
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I wish I could say "that was helpful":confused:

do you mean under 'contact info'?
also, I don't have Aol instant messenger which is required...

is there an alternative contact or e-mail address??

PLMK

I see that you have only 6 posts. This might be why the email options are not showing up for you. You may need a few more posts before the email options appear. However, if they are visable to you, here are three different ways to send an email to Lord Maul via the forum interface. The parts circled in red are what you click on and no, AOL Instant Messenger is not required for any on these methods.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Various%20Pics/LMTCSSEmail-01.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Various%20Pics/LMTCSSEmail-02.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Various%20Pics/LMTCSSEmail-03.jpg

Ryan S
05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah only 6 posts, make this 7:D
i do not get the option to send e-mail...

so, is that a catch 22 of entering?

not just anyone can enter, but those with X# of posts??:?

ok
as I should, I have read however one of the top links are broken http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10125&highlight=email+rules
#4 quote for the pm's redirects me to the the top (how do i get a picture/avatar)

so I just scrolled down to find I need 10 posts

hmmm shouldn't be that hard to do ;)

maybe i could just throw some arbitrary posts and/or replies such as
"Judo Chop" into a thread ( i know, not allowed)
ahh; that would be sense less as there are no chops in judo
BUT i could use "Jedi Chop"
judo and Jedi are 50% the same word ....
I Kill me
....and only me

Lord Maul
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Postwhoring is not acceptable. Neither is double posting. Make legitimate contributions to the forums please.

I merged your last two posts ;)

Lord Maul
05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Three days left... Not too many entries right now. I hope there's a big rush at the end

Borax
05-18-2010, 12:42 AM
mine will be a last minute entry for sure. But WILL be done!

Crystal Chambers
05-18-2010, 07:31 AM
yeah...I'm stuck with trying to finish ON the deadline. I'm sure most will be last minute. If not for building then taking nice photos.

Roy's Blues
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I finished the electronics last night. I hope to finish Final assembly today.

Rhyen Skytracker
05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
WOO! HOO! More Entries!! Can't wait to see them. :D

DJMoonbass
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
its so nice having mine been entered for quite a while now. no stress. maybe i should use this principle with my school work. :idea:

Ryan S
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm ready
but wouldn't you know,I found something I might want to change already...

but I already have the photos; I could go ahead and submit my entry :rolleyes:

choices,choices ......:-D

Darth Biff
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Three days left... Not too many entries right now. I hope there's a big rush at the end

I don't...;)

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing the competition. Bona fortuna!

JamoUp
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I welcome all competition. I am very excited to see what people have created/ if you like what I made.

...now off to make 150 new accounts to vote for myself...

Sidd
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Technically I finished and photographed my contest saber.

But on a whim I ripped it a part and am in the process totally changing it. if it gets done I will snap some new pics then submit the new one. if not oops lol

Rhyen Skytracker
05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I think there are 3 categories. MHS, Custom, and invisible. Mine wins the invisible category, trust me. LOL

Lord Dottore Matto
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Empirical was my entry...oops, did I say that out loud? Good luck guys & gals.

Lord Maul
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I am splitting up the entries to MHS or custom myself. Most people didn't specify and it's pretty easy to do. Right now I'm just compiling them all, and when I make the two separate polls they will be broken up.

Long story short, the big thing is to make sure that your email is formatted right so it is an easy copy+paste

Lord Maul
05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Entries are finally starting to come in!

I will close the contest at 11:59PM on May 20, Pacific time.

cardcollector
05-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Long story short, the big thing is to make sure that your email is formatted right so it is an easy copy+paste

Just to try to help LM...I've been a newspaper editor and
WHEN YOU DON"T FORMAT TEXT CORRECTLY IT MAKES IT HARD FOR THE EDITOR TO DO HIS JOB IN A TIME EFFICIENT MANNER...
So make Mr. Maul's work easy... format your text withoutyour fancy smilies, crazy fonts, and size 12.85746352 letters...;)

Sidd
05-20-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey were we supposed to include our emails into our entries? cuz i didnt.

Crystal Chambers
05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Did you email your entry as requested? if so then your email address is included. This is mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Lord Maul
05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Sidd, you are already entered. I even sent you a PM saying that you are entered and good to go ;)

So far we have over a dozen sabers entered. Good going people!

Note: after I enter your saber, I'll send you a confirmation PM to let you know. Just in case ya'll were wondering if your saber got entered yet.

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry, I had tried to get my 1st saber finished in time for this comp, but it still needs a couple of nights work and a good polish.
I am really looking forward to seeing all the entries though. Will all entries and builders be shown after the comp is over?

Lord Maul
05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
The names of the builders will be shown after the voting is over. The voting itself will take place in a day or two.

Rhyen Skytracker
05-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Do we get to vote once for each category or just one vote period?

Lord Maul
05-20-2010, 08:33 PM
There will be two poll threads.

Roy's Blues
05-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Prizes - Tim has offered up TCSS gift certificates as prizes for 1st and 2nd place. Enter for the sport of it though, winning is just a bonus. Contests like this are a great way to test your abilities against your peers, and learn from it.

If it's 1 winner take all, why bother with two categories?

my guess would be 4 prizes
1st and 2nd for each category.

Lord Maul
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
There is 1st and 2nd place for the MHS contest and 1st/2nd place for the custom one. 4 prizes total

Rhyen Skytracker
05-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Very Nice. Tim is so awesome for offering the gift certificates. I just want him to know we all appreciate it and we also appreciate all the hard work you are doing to compile all the entries LM.

Lord Maul
05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Under an hour left.

EVERYONE WHO HAS ENTERED: please check your PMs, I have sent a message containing what I have as your entry as it will be posted. Please confirm via PM that it is correct.

Borax
05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
E-mail is sent ... With time to spare ! lol

I agree with rhyen, thanks so much to tim and lord maul for the opportunity to have this contest. look forward to all the awesome saber candy to look at ! Go luck to all.

Sloda Foade
05-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Is the comp stil open 'cos I just finished my saber!

Jedi-Loreen
05-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Nope, you're too late.

11:59 pm Pacific Time was 3 1/2 hrs ago. All entries had to be in by then.

Sorry dude.

Crystal Chambers
05-21-2010, 04:14 AM
This is exciting! There haven't been many sabers posted over the past few months so I'm really looking forward to seeing them all. Kinda reminds me of when I first discovered custom sabers and had soooo many to look at. I gotta thank DJ for suggesting this, LM for running it and Tim for providing prizes. Oh yeah and everyone who planned waited, and worked hard on what I hope to be some very impressive builds. Hehe...sounds kinda like I won or something.

When are the pics going up?

ARKM
05-21-2010, 07:44 AM
I look forward to seeing everyone's entries. I'm sure there will be some very nice hilts.

Darth Midian
05-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes, Thank you Tim, LM, and DJ. This is very exciting.

DJMoonbass
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
dont thank me. it was just a suggestion. tim and LM and the mods here at TCSS made this possible. i give them applause! :mrgreen: and man i cant wait to see some sabers!!!

Crystal Chambers
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Still an excellant idea.

yeah yeah...when do we get to see'm? WHEN? lol

DJMoonbass
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
when do they go up!!! comon! ive been waiting MONTHS!!!

Lord Maul
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I am awaiting confirmation for three people. When I am sure that their stuff is correct, I will post the entries.

Anyone who sent me confirmation already and needed changes - your changes have been made.

Darth_Dadderall
05-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Lord Maul, will you be posting the entries in THIS thread or in a brand new one?

Ryan S
05-22-2010, 04:34 AM
i'm anxious to see how many entered
:mrgreen::mrgreen: