PDA

View Full Version : Serializing Sabers

Sidd
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello I was wondering what all would be involved with making small engraved or stamped serial number tags for sabers? I am making a saber for a friend as a gift and I would kind of like to tag each saber I make from here on out so that everyone that each one is an individual.

I am thinking of taking a spare piece of sink tube, polishing it to brass and clear coating it. than riveting it to the saber. or something like engraving

has anyone done anything like this before?

cardcollector
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
With a bit of practice you can engrave with a dremel pretty nicely.

Usually it is done on the pommel.

Sidd
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
With a bit of practice you can engrave with a dremel pretty nicely.

Usually it is done on the pommel.

The pommel is vented and sink pipe

DJMoonbass
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
if you wanted it done nicely you could have a machine shop do it. kinda makes the engravings like tims MPS inserts have. heck you maight even talk to tim. he might even do that for ya! ;)

Sidd
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
if you wanted it done nicely you could have a machine shop do it. kinda makes the engravings like tims MPS inserts have. heck you maight even talk to tim. he might even do that for ya! ;)

I want something I can do at home I mist just pick up a engraver tip for my dremel since i am finishing the saber tonight

DJMoonbass
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
well i can tell you one thing. i couldnt do it for the life of me. my hands are WAY to shaky. good luck though. post some pics when you get er done! :mrgreen:

Sidd
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I am going to practive quite a bit before i put to the final product I dont want to ruin the saber i have been working on

cardcollector
01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
The pommel is vented and sink pipe

Ah well, you can see some engraving I did on Alpha...
First time ever using a Dremel so I think you could make some pretty good engravings with patience..

Sidd
01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
THanks

Eco
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
What FenderBender did on his latest saber which features an engraved message is he just took the saber to a trophy shop and had them engrave it.
Not a DIY plate, but more professional and probably not too expensive.

Sidd
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Actually I picked up a Dremel engraver on the way home for 18 bucks and it came with stencil's so I am all set just need to finish the saber

FenderBender
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Good luck with that;) I tried it. Thats why on that latest saber, it was taken somewhere:D

Eco
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Right on. Make sure you post some pics when you're finished!

Sidd
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I will post a thread in the gallery after the new owner has the saber in his hands

Nineteen
01-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Did anyone else read the title as, "Sterilizing Sabers"? :?

Sidd
01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Did anyone else read the title as, "Sterilizing Sabers"? :?

I seriously doubt it

btw this is how the engraver i bought turned out, if i had better writing it would look better

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/snipersidd/Custom%20Sabers/DSC00734.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/snipersidd/Custom%20Sabers/DSC00736.jpg

It reads "SSC-RH001" which stands for Sidd's Sabers Custom - Returning Hero(saber name) 001(first in the series)

TroyO
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Looks like it may be too late, but you could also try one of these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90125

There's a few sizes on there.

Another idea might be the rub on letter stencils with a clear coat over it, OR... use an acid etch to etch an area around the rub on letters then take the rub on letters off... you'd have a dull "field" with the letters still all bright and shiney.

Jedi-Loreen
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
I thought of stamps, I used use them when I made keys. But I don't think they'd work well on a thin sink tube. How would you get a clear stamp on a curved surface, and do it without denting it? Those stamps are made for flat pieces of metal.

Kal El Rah
01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
An Anvil horn would work as a backing when stamping, or even a piece of pipe on the inside.

TroyO
01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Even a hardwood "plug" would probably be enough.

I've also seen where people have knocked up a jig out of wood to hold the stamp directly on-line to the centerline of round objects... like on machinery knobs where it has a graduated dial.

It would be more work than say engraving, BUT... if you were looking to serialize I'd assume it would be more than one so making the jigs would be a time saver in the end.

FenderBender
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah....uh tried the "stamp" thing too. It sucked. The damn stamp wouldn't fully indent with one strike and multiple strikes made it "dance" around. That engraving looked like my attempt too. Thats why I had someone do it that had the cool computer controlled machine.

Sidd
01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately i could not afford a professional engraving job so i went with that i can afford and i will just practice and get better

FenderBender
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Only cost me $16. Though, Im not berating you, you gotta do what makes sense. I just know that I couldn't do a good enough job of it.

Sidd
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Only cost me $16. Though, Im not berating you, you gotta do what makes sense. I just know that I couldn't do a good enough job of it.

Yeah my engraver only cost me like 16 bucks too and it was available on a short notice and its reusable.

had i had the money and time i would do it professionally