PDA

View Full Version : Overlay / shrouds over powdercoat?

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I used lots of it but I have no way of measuring it. I'm looking to use the 1.5" sink tube over PCd MHS and could use some measurements if anyone can help. It seems thinner then the nice stuff jay-gon uses.

Also using some MHS sleeve.

My first PC order so I hope I can manage to fit the overlays nicely.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
My Canadian Tire store doesn't carry the right stuff, but we have a Home Depot that does. I just measured a piece, and the ID is 1.460" which slides nicely over the MHS pieces, which are 1.450".

What you want are the 22 gauge sink tubes. The 20 gauge ones are a little smaller, and would require you to machine the MHS pieces.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks

ok...kent has the same as canadian tire

Never went to home depot. They're a US company selling Canadian lumber back cheaper then we can to ourselves so I avoid it. The USA owes on lumber trade and I'm not supporting it so I avoid the whole store. Nothing to do with nationality or whats that word..huh...patriotism, just shady biz.

Ingchao
01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Never went to home depot. They're a US company selling Canadian lumber back cheaper then we can to ourselves so I avoid it. The USA owes on lumber trade and I'm not supporting it so I avoid the whole store. Nothing to do with nationality or whats that word..huh...patriotism, just shady biz.

Wow, That's pretty slimy! Kinda like the whole prescription drug thing.
I always thought I felt an Evil Presence whenever I go in there!

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
when things seem cheap and convenient they are commonly the opposite in the grand scheme of things.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
hmmm... jay-gon posted a link to order them which I will end up doing but I guess I have to compromise for now.
Wait a minute I've used CT sinktube over MHS and it's fine you do know I'm powdercoating the MHS first right?

oh 22 gauge are slimmer with larger ID then 20...still need to be sure it'll fit over PC and I think that depends on the colour or finish too

Maybe I should have posted this in the powdercoat section...hmm....sorry a bit tired.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=158609#post158609

PS....only been to walmart once and they've been here since early 90s. Maybe if everyone yells union in unison they'll all close shop..lol. I could go there and buy a MP3 player cheaper then a pack of cigarettes..lol

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Although I've read about it before I can't find it by thread title...

I want to use MHS sleeve and brass sinktube over PC MHS. I believe I read that sometimes it should be milled down to make up for the increased OD.
The brass I've been using is a light weight gauge that fits nice on bare MHS and would rather avoid ordering or traveling far to find another gauge sinktube.

Any advice on the following would be great.

Ingchao
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, with my budget and circumstances I HAVE to shop @ Walmart. I know how evil they are and what they've done to Small Town America and it kills me every time I walk in the door.

Sidd
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
At the Home Depots around here they dont even sell the 22 gauge tubing its all 20 gauge

i would check a Lowe's if you have them or smaller local stores.

though honesty Tim has the best prices for the sink tubes I have seen

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I need brass...no lowes here.

I think Canadian Tire sells 22 gauge to be cheap..lol..I could be wrong I haven't measured it.
I know who to ask..the local steampunker....

Ingchao
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
though honesty Tim has the best prices for the sink tubes I have seen

Especially if it comes with end nut.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
so true..too bad there's no brass.

FenderBender
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Both fit great over flat black. Any trans colors and the MHS would have to be taken down a .001" or so.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
no trans..:)

I'm going wrinkle black and another colour.
Great to know though..thx.

ecko
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Have you tried looking at Rona?
That's where I picked one up. I wasn't looking to see if they had brass though.

~S~

FenderBender
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Keep in mind, if you don't already know, that sinktube that is sold in hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot etc, is chrome plating over brass. So if you see sinktube, and it's chrome, that's most likely what you're looking for. We usually just strip the chrome off of the tube by sanding it. Works great, and its a far cheaper alternative than trying to find brass tubing that isnt plated. Im not sure why, since it's extra work and material to plate things, but that's just one of those things I guess.

Clockwork
01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I know who to ask..the local steampunker....

*peaks head out of steam-powered laboratory* You called? PM sent lol

DJMoonbass
01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
sometimes it should be milled down to make up for the increased OD.

i believe the correct term is TURNED down not milled. lol:D you wouldnt use a mill in this application.

vargose
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Gauge does matter though. Do you know what gauge the pipe is? If you email Tim before your order and tell him what you are thinking he should be able to tell you what he has done for others. Its been done before.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Dj...I have no idea regarding machining terms just repeating what I've read.

I did email Tim, but until I got his reply, I though I'd ask around since I hadn't found a thread on the subject anyways.
All I know about the gauge is the brass I have easy access to fit nicely over bare MHS.

Crystal Chambers
01-14-2010, 06:14 AM
hehe...this guy is awesome.

Bare brass..lol....is easy to find here in most of those places in 1.5 by 6" lengths. I've trying sanding down 1.25 chrome before but it lost it's OD for fitting in MHS so I scrapped it and the overall design ended up looking great with chrome.

I found places to order brass but yeah it's pricey...roughly $20 plus tax shipping duty and the time...maybe on another project.

For this project I'm using powdercoating, so I wanna keep my sinktube cost down. I told Tim that I wanted the MHS turned down to compensate for thickness of the PC. Hopefully that will simplify things and get me back on track.

cardcollector
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
So, if you powdercoat the MHS sleeve, AND the mhs piece, the sleeve will still slide on correct? Just wanting to be clear...

Darth Midian
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, with my budget and circumstances I HAVE to shop @ Walmart. I know how evil they are and what they've done to Small Town America and it kills me every time I walk in the door.

I feel you about Walmart. Here's Walmarts symbol and The Empires. Coincidence, I think not.

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
LOL..I never made that connection before Darth Midian...hmmmm...

Crystal Chambers
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
So, if you powdercoat the MHS sleeve, AND the mhs piece, the sleeve will still slide on correct? Just wanting to be clear...

nope, sinktube and MHS sleeve over powder coated MHS. I'm trying to make sure they'll fit and may have to have the MHS they go over turned down.

I have put sinktube on MHS before too but nothing relating to powdercoat.

cardcollector
01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I feel you about Walmart. Here's Walmarts symbol and The Empires. Coincidence, I think not.

OOOOH HAHAHA! You made frosty come out of my nose! Great job!

Is there a rebellion group organized? What is your Target?:mrgreen::mrgreen: