PDA

View Full Version : whats expected as far as Lightsabers are concerned?

DJMoonbass
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
well its a new year and time to get crackin down on saber building. im curious if anyone knows anything about any upcoming events that has to do with the saber building. such as meetings and ESPECIALLY open contests to test our saber building skills. im looking more for saber building contests. i think the best way to expand skills and knowledge in saber building are contests that push your saber building to the max. that way you can always stretch farther the next time and see what other people are doing. im really hoping for another graflex competition. that would be fun. besides the yearly contests over at FX was wondering if TCSS would be doing any. i know JSS will be but those are always closed to the general public. maybe we could even organize our own competition... here at TCSS. with prize beeing a generously purchased and donated parts (or TCSS gift card) from TCSS.

thoughts anyone? :p

Sidd
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Might be interesting, but would you be picking the winner and who would be running the contest?

DJMoonbass
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
nooooooo on the first. somebody like fender or LDM or somebody WAY high up would most likely run it.... that way its fair. and what we could do to keep it extra fair is send all the pics of entries to somebody who runs the contest and posts all the pictures with Anonymous and then have the gen pop vote on it. that way only the saber design and awesomeness is beeing voted on...

and me runing the contest? no. but i most likely will donate some stuff for the winner(s) though. 8)

Ingchao
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea, entry fee could be cash toward gift cert. or donated parts.

Lord Maul
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
If we were to do a contest (member run - just a saber build one with no real rules) then there would be no prize but 10 pounds of pride most likely. That is how JSS ones work too.

If some actual guidelines were put in place and the Council OK'd it, then I can run it.

Now if Tim were to run a contest to design something for the store then there is usually something in it for the winner.

Count Malik
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
sounds like it could be fun...

Kastor
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I would suggest a contest with sections for Experts and Newbies/Amateurs as most of us don't have the tools to compete with the Masters and I believe this will help increases entrees. Just a thought.

Scars Unseen
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
This topic came up in shoutbox a few days back and the idea was put forth that to keep it fair and also to benefit Tim, a contest held on these forums should probably be restricted to MHS based sabers(though if you take a look at the gallery, there's plenty that can be done with that).

DJMoonbass
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
good idea LM. i like your thinking. yeah you would be GREAT to run it. i was hoping for more of a FX sabers style contest where theres donated prizes. like custom builds from small companies.

as for masters section and then newbies amatures. i dont know where i would fit in. i KNOW im not a master. and i am pretty much an amerature but where would i go since i do my own machining?

Lord Dottore Matto
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I think that the Council could get behind this. I propose that the entries be limited to parts purchased at TCSS and that entrants must have built 10 sabers or less and not be a Council member. If this seems like something that folks would like to do, then I will run it up the flagpole to the Big Boss and see what he says.;)

Sunrider
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
People focusing on parts is a great idea. Then a sweet saber could be constructed of the coolest parts.:cool:

Lord Maul
01-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree LDM. Only stuff bought from TCSS. I will go and make a thread about it in the Council right now so we can pass off logistics ideas there.

EDIT - This is going to happen...logistics are being discussed now in the Council. Stay tuned ;)

$tarkiller
01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
This is a great idea and I can't wait to see what some of the members come up with, but why do we need a contest with incentive to push saber building to the max? As stated earlier the only thing really gained is street cred.... But that's my two cents..

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Its a good kick in the pants to get us to all build and post at once. It would mean a lot of new sabers up.. to learn from, drool over, inspire us, and keep us motivated. Although it would be fun to enter I would happy to see it happen either way.

Some type of prize would be awesome. As an amateur contest it would be cool if everyone did a stunt saber and the winning prize would be to have someone experienced install a sound board and accent leds etc.

Eco
01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I think this is a great idea!
I'd be so down for this!
We should also consider separate categories: MR/FX/Econ sound, Ultrasound, CF(for the few who have one), and Stunt sabers.

Count Malik
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
im getting excited for whatever is yet to come! haha

Rhyen Skytracker
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I think this is a great idea!
I'd be so down for this!
We should also consider separate categories: MR/FX/Econ sound, Ultrasound, CF(for the few who have one), and Stunt sabers.

I don't think the sound should be an issue. I think it should be based on the design of the saber. But, that is just me. ;)

eastern57
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm game. Bring it. ;)

DJMoonbass
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
cool. yeah i was planning on using MHS parts anyway since i really dont have time to make my own parts anyway.

but what ground rules? i will have time to do some small machining mods and such as well as small parts such as metal gripps. will this be allowed? i allready have my saber idea drawn out;)

im really excited to see where this goes.

Jedi-Loreen
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
The Council is still talking about that. Patience.

DJMoonbass
01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
yes master.

Invisas1979
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
But what about those who don't have part lying around to get cracking straight away. There needs to be a time scale so parts can be ordered a start date and end date.

I think sound should be included so it's a functional saber but all cards should score equally. Maybe brightness should have a score banding i.e a poorly lit saber scores lower than a brighter one?

This should be based on MHS parts to include shrouds, pc and other asthetic enhancements.

To make things fairer for those without the machineing tools we list what tools we used to create our sabers or limit what tools we can use to dremel, drills, files etc???

Lord Maul
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
This is all being talked over. If you don't have machining tools, Tim can do it for you.

The sabers will be voted upon by the entire forum, and judged as a saber. There won't be categories like 'best shroud' or 'best design', just best saber.

The dates are still up in the air, but we are looking at sometime between April-June

Rest assured guys, we are thinking it all out ;)

Shadar Al'Niende
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I trust in the wisdom of the council ;)

Seriously, i am very excited and would like to thank you DJ for bringing it up! Fantastic idea! I eagerly await the details :D

Eco
01-14-2010, 12:04 AM
I think sound should be included so it's a functional saber but all cards should score equally. Maybe brightness should have a score banding i.e a poorly lit saber scores lower than a brighter one?

A good concept, but I certainly hope that if someone is entering a saber in a contest, they know how to properly drive and wire up their LED.

As for the omission of sound categories, I still think there should be two categories: Sound and Stunt
Why?
Because with no soundcard to fill your saber with, you could easily pack a butt-load of LEDs into your hilt.

Lord Maul
01-14-2010, 12:16 AM
The official thread will likely be up in a day or two, so I am locking this one. If you have any suggestions for the contest that you really want heard, PM me them.