PDA

View Full Version : Sink tube/MHS building suggestions

Yama-Blu Kitsu
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm in the process of creating my 2nd hilt using a combination of sink tube and MHS parts. I've been practicing cutting sink tubes with my dremel and I'm starting to get better about making a clean cut along with sanding. I've already cut part of the sink tube for it and I'm currently awaiting parts to finish it. It will be roughly 12inches long and I'll be using my Lux V led powered by a buck puck and 6 AA. I got inspired to use this blade holder because it reminds me of a hilt used in the force unleashed. The hilt itself is mostly reminiscent of obi wans....And I wanted to do something a little different with the appearance, any ideas? I'll always love the hilts used in the movies but my goal is to be more creative and try to make different hilts.

4" sink tube cut with 1.5" MHS adapter
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/JB1017_01/001.jpg

General build view so far
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/JB1017_01/SaberBuilder_render.png

Crystal Chambers
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
First off...I'm confused just be sure you know you don't need a MHS adapter to mount an overlay on a full MHS hilt? The adapter is made more to use sinktube as a main body tube and to attach a blade holder, pommel, or any number of creative applications. See Jay-gon's tutorial in the build threads.

The sky is the limit.

Well a tube with any combo of end cuts, windows, or decorative pattern anyways.

Have good long look in the gallery especially the custom gallery or MHS sections.

Wrap a piece of paper around your sinktube or MHS and do some drawing. Once you come up with something you're happy with wrap your sinktube in masking tape and cut out your paper overlay and use it to trace on the taped sinktube.

Also the movies are chalk full of design cues you can utilize or draw inspiration from. Anything from architecture to vehicles to droids are full of shapes that can be adapted to saber design. Now that I know the movies all too well I watch them for design ideas like this

Not sure if that was any help.

Yama-Blu Kitsu
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
The MHS build pic I posted is what its going to look like so far, but keep in mind the 4" "extension piece" in that picture, I'm substituting with the 4" 1.5" sink tube shown in the other picture. I'm pretty sure I've seen every custom saber on the video lol Another idea I had was using the 1.25" sink tube I had and cutting my 1.5" tube in different patterns to mount directly on to the 1.25" body.Not that important, just wanted to know if anyone would like put their 2 cents in.

DJMoonbass
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
im curious why you wouldnt just use a 4" MHS extension. save trouble, time and money IMHO. and then you wouldnt have all those screw on the outside AND it would be perfect ready to go for MPS.

as far as design. crystal chambers pretty much did the best job EVER :mrgreen:

but whatever you decide to do is YOUR choice and im sure youll love your saber. ;)

Yama-Blu Kitsu
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah I could have gone all MHS, but honestly.... I wanted the trouble lol Don't get me wrong, I love the MHS set up. Its really easy to make a saber that why 3 piece or more. I just wanted to put more work into it so i'd feel more accomplished about it i guess lol:D

Count Malik
01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
totally understandable... plus an upside to using a sink tube for part of your main body is more diameter space! lol:p

Crystal Chambers
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
ok...so you want 1.25 inside MHS and 1.5 outside.

I did the same thing on two sabers only I didn't bother with adapters and just cut a extension tube in half. That way I decide where the holes go and I don't have to line them up. Linning up a hole on a outer tube to match an inner one already threaded seems useless to me. Maybe I missed something regarding the adapter design. I do like the 1.25 adapters as the have shape unique among other MHS parts.

There are so many possibilities with this style tubing..you can put grip inbetween the tubes...the only problem is you loose a little space and it's hard enough to fit a 4aaa pack or aa with a sound card on it inside with sled.

DJ...why the green face?...unsure of your context here. I haven't posted yet but have two unique killer sabers ready for launch very soon.

Yama-Blu Kitsu
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
ok...so you want 1.25 inside MHS and 1.5 outside.

I did the same thing on two sabers only I didn't bother with adapters and just cut a extension tube in half. That way I decide where the holes go and I don't have to line them up. Linning up a hole on a outer tube to match an inner one already threaded seems useless to me. Maybe I missed something regarding the adapter design. I do like the 1.25 adapters as the have shape unique among other MHS parts.

There are so many possibilities with this style tubing..you can put grip inbetween the tubes...the only problem is you loose a little space and it's hard enough to fit a 4aaa pack or aa with a sound card on it inside with sled.

DJ...why the green face?...unsure of your context here. I haven't posted yet but have two unique killer sabers ready for launch very soon.

Nice idea with cutting the extension tube, the most difficult part for me was lining up the holes with the adapter and the sink tube.

IMO I do kinda like the feel of the 1.25 better than the 1.5...it just fits better in your hand (and I have big hands) but I guess no matter what the object in life, I prefer the compactness...i guess thats why I like the 1.25.

I'm pretty sure I got adapters for both 1.25 and 1.5 so I'll just have to work with it and decide once I get my hands on em. Originally I did get 2 adapters a piece if only to use 1 of them at he base of the saber to use a MHS pommel. I made a custom saber for my friend already with a Lux III Amber and I used the sink tube end cap for the pommel sold on the TCSS...but it never felt like it fit quite right....anyways, I think the MHS Pommel will look cool on a sink tube.

You got 2 sabers on the way? You better post pics when you get em built I wanna see

:cool:

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2010, 05:54 AM
cool..you can always use both 1.25 and 1.5 adapters.
One for the pommel and one for upper hilt. 1.25 sinktube will fit inside one and over the other. You definitely have alot of options with the parts you ordered.

Yeah my hilts are done just working on wiring and sleds. They both have US 2.5 and accent LEDs too. I want them to be complete when I post them